Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15322 Discussions

How can I constrain a output signal relative to an internal clock?

CBehr
Beginner

I have a design with an async external bus. I simply want to constrain the outputs so that they have a known delay relative to the driving clock of 25 MHz (or really anything known). I compiled the design withou8t constraints to look at the path delays on the outputs, then added constraints (set_max_delay, set_min_delay) such that the unconstrained design fit within the new constraints. There is a clock skew included (~-7 ns) that I don't understand what the tool is doing but apparently needs to be included in the delay, plus a 3-6 ns data delay. I set the max and min delay to 16 and 9 respectively which Timequest was perfectly happy with, no timing failures. No problem right? Well, when I rebuilt, Quartus added about 15ns to the data delay breaking the timing. What gives? It seems like there should be a simple solution (no I can't use fast registers). I also need to do something for the inputs. All help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

You may use set_output_delay to set the delay for output.

Thanks