Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
14944 Discussions

How do i copy projects between 2 computers?

OldMarty
Beginner

Hi All,

Can somebody please share the correct method to copy a project from one PC over to another PC???
It seems when i copy the folders/files manually or saving from within the quartus editor doesn't really work properly. I'm not sure if i should be archiving, exporting or some other function??

It's really slowing/stopping my progress, because i can't work between home & work PCs on the same project.
It seems i have to start and finish the project on the one PC, and that seems like BS to me, i know there must be a real way to migrate project files elsewhere..

OK, some backstory....

I've recently been designing some new projects in Quartus 13.x and cannot get the project to open when i copy my projects between computers from work to my home PC (and back to work PC etc).
(i've also tried with v17.x, v18.x and also had a colleague try on his own computers with the same problems).

Here's an example:

I start a brand new project in the following folder structure...
C:\IntelFPGA\Projects\Test1

The contents in this folder after creating my schematic design (Test.bdf), has created the following files and folders:

\db
\incremental_db
\output_files
Test.bdf
Test.qpf
Test.qsf
Test.qws

When i copy the EXACT same file structure and files to my home PC, i attempt to open the project and get a "no project file found" error window appear.

The best i can achieve is to open the .bdf file directly (which opens in the schematic editor correctly), but i don't feel it's linked to all the project files anymore.

Thanks in advance for any help to this ongoing problem for me.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SyafieqS_Intel

Hi Marty,

Save all your current work progress and use the feature archive. 

In Quartus window menu --> project --> archive project. Copy your .qar file to home machine and then good to go.

Thanks,

Regards

OldMarty
Beginner

ok, thanks for that, i'll give the archive a try when i'm next back at my workplace.

Thanks again.