Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16611 Discussions

How to add custom component in Platform Designer that instantiates library IP?

DCack
Beginner

I have a Platform Designer system. It contains a lot of components, both from the Intel libary and custom ones designed by myself.

Normally, I use the following procedure to import my custom component to the Platform Designer:

1) Develop the HDL code of the IP with standard interfaces such as Avalon-MM or Avalon-ST.

2) Synthesize the component to check that there are no errors + optionally simulate to verify behavior.

3) Use "Add component..." in Platform Designer to import IP to the system. Add HDL files to the systhesis a simulation file lists, analyze them in the GUI, organize signals to interfaces and so on.

4) Instantate in the system.

It works perfectly, but the problem appears, if my custom component includes some library (megawizard) component, such as RAM. Generating such a megaiwzard components produces a lot files. Which I am supposed to add in sysnthesis file list in "Add component" process in Platform Designer?

Adding QIP file seems not to work. Platform designer generates system HDL file, but during synthesis there are warnings, that some files related to the IP cannot be found.

Please advice.

Regards,

Damian

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SyafieqS

Hi Damian,

Try to use .ipx file for managing custom libraries of platform designer component through multi-layered serach path. You can create the ipx file refer to link below for detail. In the .ipx file you can specify where directory can search for your custom IP component.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-qpp-platform-designer.pdf

Thanks,

Regards

0 Kudos
DCack
Beginner

Finally it turned out, that adding QIP file works ok. Although there are synthesis tool warnings about missing some files, but after implementation my IP is synthesized correctly.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Could you elaborate more how you solve the issue? Some sharing here :)

0 Kudos
DCack
Beginner

In summary:

Problem: you have your own IP which contains both custom HDL modules and IP generated by Quartus megawizard. How to import that IP to the Platform Designer to make it visible as a component? Which files to add during "Add. component..." process?

Solution: In GUI, import all your HDL files along with *.qip file of generated components by megawizard. It produces some warnings about missing files duing whole design synthesis, but after all it works.

Regards,

Damian

0 Kudos