Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

How to fill Platform designer documentation

JoEl
New Contributor I

Hi all,

I am looking for some source code documentation tool like doxygen for SystemVerilog with no luck, but I find that Quartus can generate nice HTML block design. How can I insert code in it ? I cannot find any reference about it. Is it same like description in IP library? - I don't know how to do that neither but interested in it.

When you open top level project folder, with qsys in it (we have top level entity as wrapper for QSYS now) you have folder named same as your top level QSYS. See pic below and it contain information about qsys components like parameters, sw dependencies, connection, base addresses... Question is how to set those parameters cause this documentation looks usable...

folder_sys.PNG.jpg

If anybody can point me to some document about it I would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kenny_Tan

Hi Josef,

The enhancement is for our engineering. Currently, they are no parameter that you can use for hw.tcl or setting files for this generation.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JoEl
New Contributor I

Hi Kenny,

I saw all your links before excluding ftp you send, but nor of those speaks about what fills html file generated with core. I want description like what I need to set wher to propagate to those HTML.

I know how user IPs are made, how to modify them...

we do use own repository with component root file, with component_hw.tcl in it, and simulation, hdl and documentation folders.

When quartus do compilation, in structure described above quartus provide html file (easy readable) but there isn't enougth information. But Intel cores are described there better. So what I want is guide what I need to propagate my toughs to HTML not how to do IP

Best regards, Josef

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Just to be in sync, Platform designer create a HTML files.

It would be on https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/qts/qsys_intro.pdf 6-24.

If you were looking into different HTML files, can you attached an example for us to look into this? As we usually do not use HTML file to modify the IP. The best way is still use the _hw.tcl files

0 Kudos
JoEl
New Contributor I

Hi Kenny,

OK I took it as bundle of software but you are right, I meant platform designer generated files.

I am aware that I cannot share structure described in top html files cause our policy, but we are talking about same thing.

My goal isn't editing IP within HTML, but use it as generated documentation of projject, so I would be able to give it to my colleague as an example of architecture or to sw team as description of inside structure/registers etc...

Iam looking for description how to pass those parameters to this file. IE component itself is well structured, you can find even few comments in its description but in top level qsys file there is much less informations, see pic below

example_html.png

not only missing parameters but also others can be passed to top level file, you already generate this so how can I pass more inside ?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Since this is auto generated files, user will not have control over it. Thus, you will not able to create more information base on that.

What type of information that you were expecting? Perhaps I can file an enhancement to our engineering to look into it.

We are sorry to inform that.

0 Kudos
JoEl
New Contributor I

Hi Kenny,

agree with autogenerated file, but its generated from something - so input data would be those in *_hw.tcl file. So if I know right place to write it, ti propagates from _hw.tcl to html.

If I have time in evening, I'll create example in Quartus 19.1 and post it here cause it look like we are still on opposite side.

As you can see on right picture - Unit level - there is description. Just parameters but at least something. I want to add more information there, humble wish is component description in text form, true wish would be pasting images and comment also ports/interfaces

At the end connecting this HTML tree together and use hyperlinks between unit and top would be really nice!

Thanks,

Josef

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Hi Josef,

I had submitted an enhancement on this.

Thanks for your feedback,

Best regards,

kenny

0 Kudos
JoEl
New Contributor I

Hi Kenny,

I didn't get enhanced by your reply, I still don't know which parameters are taken in account during auto generation of html document.

Best regards,

Josef

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Hi Josef,

The enhancement is for our engineering. Currently, they are no parameter that you can use for hw.tcl or setting files for this generation.

Thanks

0 Kudos