Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16604 Discussions

How to generate a .dat file for on-chip flash for simulation?

JPrig
Beginner

Hi,

I generated a User Flash Memory IP for a Max 10 device. In the wizard I chose to initialize the UFM from a user-defined file, which for simulation needs to be a .dat file.

However, I cannot figure out how to create such a file. I found something in the documentation for Nios II, but I do not use Nios II in my design. Is there other possibilities to create such a file?

Regards, Julia

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel
You can use below code for your .dat file. Please try and see whether it works. 1.   00000000  2.   00000001  3.   00000002  4.   00000003  5.   ...  6.   ...  7.   000047FA  8.   000047FB  9.   000047FC  10.  000047FD  11.  000047FE  12.  000047FF
0 Kudos
JPrig
Beginner

Hi Shyan,

thanks for the help, but unfortunately it did not work.

The tool still complains that it cannot open the file, even though the file is in the same directory and the top-level UFM auto-generated file.

Regards,

Julia

0 Kudos
RRomano001
New Contributor I

Hi Julia, I have no idea how to generate .dat file nor i found information about format.

Quartus copy your .hex file to simulation directory and seems it is ok from modelsim.

If your file is .mif format, open with quartus "open file" then "save as" .hex, change on qsys.

When you launch modelsim, memory file is fetched from simulation directory.

Googling around the closest solution i found was this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23193206/inferred-ram-doesnt-initialize-in-modelsim-altera-edition

Please tell me back if this helped.

Regards

Roberto

0 Kudos
JPrig
Beginner

Hi Roberto,

Thank for the reply.

Unfortunately it did not help. I use Aldec Riviera PRO and not Modelsim.

I created a hex file with the correct name and placed it together with the UFM IP, but the tool still complains that it cannot open the file.

The function seems to work in hardware, so I think I will just have to do without it in simulation.

Regards, Julia

0 Kudos