Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16604 Discussions

How to identify two different de0-nano boards by TCL (Quartus_stp) in a single host PC

FrankOuO
Novice

Hi, Intel

I followed the fantastic tutorial Talking to the DE0-Nano using the Virtual JTAG interface. by Chris Zeh. and wrote a custom code.

Everything goes well, but now I want to connect two different de0-nano boards in a single PC by Quartus_stp.exe

The Tcl command manual by Intel only showed how to connect a single board in one PC.
but If I connected two de0-nano, the example code only can connect the first USB-Blaster [USB-0]

So I edit the foreach loop to the following:

# Programming Hardwares:
set hardware_name [get_hardware_names]
#	puts $hardware_name
if { [string match "USB-Blaster*" [lindex $hardware_name 1]] } {
	set usbblaster_name [lindex $hardware_name 1]
}

but the [lindex $hardware_name number] only depends on the number: the order of the board's connection.

Is there any Tcl command that can identify the specific de0-nano board and connect with the corrected <IP:port> so that I don't need to connect these boards in sequence?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SyafieqS

Hello Frank,

I believe there is some limitation with tcl scripting when come to signaltap Quartus support. I suggest you to look in the cmd and tcl api by invoking "quartus_sh --qhelp" in shell/cmd and see what Command-Line and Tcl API help support for signaltap. there is quatus_stp, logic analyzer, stp etc which would fit your automation. All these cmd and tcl api provide examples for your reference and that is all there is.

SyafieqS

Hello Frank,

May I know if there is any update?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to mark as solution, give Kudos and rate 10/10 survey

0 Kudos
FrankOuO
Novice

Hi SyafieqS.
Thank for your reply~
I'll try this "quartus_sh --qhelp" in this days
Hope this will solve my problem, thanks!

0 Kudos
FrankOuO
Novice

Hi SyafieqS,

I found that “quartus_sh –qhelp” shows the same description as the Command-Line Tcl Manual from Intel.

I can distinguish two Altera USB-blaster(de0-nano) with different Ports [0,1,2,…].

Initially, USB Blaster(de0-nano) is reported as [USB-0]; plugging a new Altera device, the original one forces USB Blaster to jump to [USB-1], so quartus_stp connects to these two boards distinguish by different Port seems not a good way.

So I’m looking to change the device description from USB-blaster to such as de0-nano-01, 02, etc.

I tried to change the description by FT-PROG, by this article.

How to use two USB blaster cable in the same computer 

But it didn’t work.

Both boards have programmed .jic files into EEPROM to boot up with my program. I wonder if I should change the description or serial number in Quartus, but I don’t know how to use it

0 Kudos