Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
14964 Discussions

How to interface with bidirectional pins from an internal data bus in a .bdf file

JMona1
New Contributor I

Clearly i'm a newbie, but I'm really stuck with what is I'm sure a simple problem.

I am using a .bdf to code a Cyclone IV FPGA using Quartus Lite v18.

I have a circuit with an "internal" 8 bit data bus which I need to bring out to 8 FPGA bidirectional pins. If I draw for example DATA_BUS[0] connected to a BDIR pin no problem. However if I connect another gate to this DATA_BUS[0] I get an error saying DATA_BUS[0] can only be assigned one value. I thought the use of a data bus is that various gates can interface with it. The actual interface is a data latch with its one ENA.

How does one get around this. I tried all kinds of approaches. The only thing that worked was a MUX with two outputs. I attaching a simple example here

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JOHI
New Contributor II

Hello JMona1,

Pins on an FPGA have special logic to implement inout behaviour.

They can have high impedance (Hi-Z) or output.

Signals on internal FPGA logic (your flipflops) do not have this logic.

What you are trying to do is to have 2 flipflops control 1 fpga pin.

If the state of flipflop A is 1 and the B is 0, then what should the value of the pin be?

So this is the reason if you connect 1 flipflop with a pin, you are ok, if you connect 2 flipflop outputs to 1 fpga pin, you are in trouble.

Mux is a good solution, you can use other solutions a logic OR of both signals provided you can guarantee all are 0 except one. This is a kind of "open collector" hardware approach equivalent.

If you implement a cpu in an FPGA (Nios-II) for example, you will see that PIO signals that are configured in platform designer as inout end up as a single in and a single out port. Signals that are ment to control SDRAM dual port pins end up as inout signals.

There could be other solutions as well, but I do not consider my self an expert in the matter.

Best Regards,

Johi.

JMona1
New Contributor I

Thanks Johi, I understand what you have there but thought there was another way and I was overlooking something. Wish the was the equivalent of an Open Collector gate is these FPGA's.

I don't however understand why I cannot use Output enables OE*. Say using the 74244's. If they behave like the 'real' 74244s, multiple gates should not affect an output pin function if only one is active at a time. Why does that not work -- be accepted by Quartus.