Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

How to obtain a valid license of FPGA SDK for OpenCL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all,  

I dont know how to obtain a valid SDK for OpenCL License of v16 or v17? 

please help...
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

v17.1 does not require an OpenCL license. For earlier versions, you either have to buy a license, or if you are university student, you can ask your supervisor to join Altera/Intel's university program through which you can get free licenses.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

v17.1 does not require an OpenCL license. For earlier versions, you either have to buy a license, or if you are university student, you can ask your supervisor to join Altera/Intel's university program through which you can get free licenses. 

--- Quote End ---  

@HRZ thanks so much...would the opencl use directly after dowloaded and installed Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL in v17.1?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes; however, you still need a license for Quartus if you are going to target Stratix V or Arria 10. You can use Quartus Lite without a license, but that can only target Cyclone devices.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes; however, you still need a license for Quartus if you are going to target Stratix V or Arria 10. You can use Quartus Lite without a license, but that can only target Cyclone devices. 

--- Quote End ---  

ok.. thank for your valuable reply.. i really had a license for quartus v17.1
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Do you mean the Quartus Lite version can use OpenCL for Cyclone V devices? The licensing details document (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/po/ss-quartus-comparison.pdf)states that OpenCL is  

--- Quote Start ---  

Supported with the Intel Quartus Prime Pro/Standard Edition software. 

--- Quote End ---  

It seems to me that the Lite edition does not explicitly support OpenCL, even for Cyclone V.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had seen people on the forum previously who were trying to use the OpenCL SDK with Quartus Lite but I am not sure if they were actually successful in doing so. As you pointed out, based on Altera's documentation, it seems OpenCL is not at all supported with Quartus Lite. You can still try, maybe it works.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When running the Quartus Lite installer the OpenCL SDK is not included in the components. It's a pity because I can afford the $175 DE1-SoC board but I cannot afford the $2,995 Quartus Prime license... :(

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can try installing the SDK separately.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried and unfortunately the installation of the OpenCL SDK gives an error about an incompatible version being installed in the target directory (version 18 Lite). I conclude that it is indeed not possible to use the OpenCL SDK with the Quartus Lite version.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That is sad to hear. :(

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if my supervisor join altera's university program which i canget free licenses,that license is free forever or have deadline time? would U give me the link of altera university program or the flow to apply a free licenses? thank so much...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

if my supervisor join altera's university program which i canget free licenses,that license is free forever or have deadline time? would U give me the link of altera university program or the flow to apply a free licenses? thank so much..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The licenses are time-limited but they are usually for a few years and you can always extend them or request new ones. Check this link for more info: 

https://www.altera.com/support/training/university/overview.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The licenses are time-limited but they are usually for a few years and you can always extend them or request new ones. Check this link for more info: 

https://www.altera.com/support/training/university/overview.html 

--- Quote End ---  

how long does a licenses have?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

how long does a licenses have? 

--- Quote End ---  

That is decided by the person from Altera/Intel who issues the license.
0 Kudos