Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16680 Discussions

How to prevent QII inferring RAM

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

I have an array of registers that are 32 bit wide and need to be accessed in a different clock domain. So I wrote a process to cross those registers to the new clock domain by double-registering them: 

cross_registers: process (rst, clk) begin if rst = '1' then cnt_s <= (others => (others => '0')); elsif rising_edge(clk) then cnt_s <= cnt_s(0) & cnt; new_cnt <= cnt_s(1); end if; end process cross_registers;  

QII infers RAM in the implementation of this and defeated the purpose. So I added the following lines to prevent QII from doing this but to no avail. 

attribute ramstyle : string; 

attribute ramstyle of cnt_s : signal is "logic"; 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks, 

Hua
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

On a side note, I am not too sure about the code snippets above to be the proper way of crossing clock domain boundaries for vectors or arrays of vectors, I am thinking about the following is better, how do you think? 

cross_registers: process (rst, clk) begin if rst = '1' then cnt_s <= (others => (others => '0')); elsif rising_edge(clk) then cnt_s <= cnt_s(0) & cnt; if cnt_s(0) = cnt_s(1) then new_cnt <= cnt_s(1); end if; end if; end process cross_registers;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Doubling registering arrays will work to cross the boundary, but a FIFO would be more reliable. 

You'll probably fnd quartus isnt infering a RAM, its infering an ALTSHIFTTAPS megafunction, which will use RAM, because all you have is a shift register.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Doubling registering arrays will work to cross the boundary, but a FIFO would be more reliable. 

You'll probably fnd quartus isnt infering a RAM, its infering an ALTSHIFTTAPS megafunction, which will use RAM, because all you have is a shift register. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yeah, it was a memory block in the Altshifttaps megafunction (stratix iv) and it gave timing violations. I will use fifos instead.  

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are the clock domains asynchronous? 

If they are not asynchronous, then there's no need for double registering -- and what Quartus did will work, assuming you've constrained them properly and TimeQuest gives a green flag. 

If they are asynchronous, you need to set a false path exception so Quartus will recognize them as synchronizers..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeah they are asynchronous. And instead of using fifos, I probably end up generating flag to indicate change of value, cross the flags over to the other side, and then latch them on the flag.

0 Kudos