Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

How to use a Quartus generated Intel IP in Qsys(Platform designer)

ASuba
Novice

I am trying to you DCFIFO IP generated from Quartus IP Catalog IN QSYS System design. Is there a possibility to import necessary files or steps to do the same ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JOHI
New Contributor II

​Hello,

DC fifo has completely different interfaces compared to qsys components.

Qsys components use the Avalon interface to interface with the CPU & other components.

So direct use in Platform designer of DCFIFO is not possible.

If you really want to do what you propose then you could build a custom component in Platform designer and use this component as a container for DCFIFO.

On the other hand, if you need FIFO functionality you might want to consider the C++ STL library. There are a number of template classes that do exactly the same but a bit slower than fpga designs.

Best Regards,

Johi.

0 Kudos
ASuba
Novice

​Thanks a lot Johi,

Since Im planiing to add it to a custom IP what steps should I take then for adding a Quartus generated IP( I am using Quartus Lite Version)?

Which files are needed so that I can instanatiate it  in my custom IP that later could be used in Qsys?

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi,

I completely agree with Johi. Would like to give you some information.

We can create a new/custom component in QSYS by inserting HDL code with DCFIFO and then connect this component or by using wrapper of IP's we can integrate in top HDL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6rhbVABlo8

ftp://ftp.intel.com/Pub/fpgaup/pub/Intel_Material/13.1/Tutorials/Making_Qsys_Components.pdf

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
ASuba
Novice

​Hi Anand

Thanky you for the inputs

I am considering the Option of instantiating this DCFIFO into my custom IP and adding it to QSYS. What are required files needed while adding to my custom IP ?Since DCFIFO is generated from quartus IP Catalog , what are the steps we should do while we add to a user created custom IP?

Best Regards,

ATHIRA

0 Kudos