Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

How to use the relative-vars option in the ip-make-ipx

gyuunyuu
New Contributor II

The help message of ip-make-ipx says:

--relative-vars=<value>

Optional. Comma-separated list of shell variables, to which relative references are preferred

What is the purpose of this option and how can it be used?

I have found that whatever I put into this option simply gets ignored.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

<--relative-vars=> Description: Causes the output file to include references relative to the specified variable or variables wherever possible. You can specify multiple variables as a comma-separated list.

Specifying --relative-vars allows the usage of ENV variables to anchor the files that are found during the traversal.

e.g.

env var:
MY_DEST_ROOT=/data/user/ip/bar

ip-make-ipx --source-directory=/data/user/ip/bar/jon --output=/tmp/out.ipx --thorough-descent --relative-vars=MY_DEST_ROOT

You will get something similar like this:

<component
name="ip"
file=${MY_DEST_ROOT}/jon/ip_hw.tcl
...>
</component>

Do take note: It is Optional to use it and if you do use --relative-vars, IP_ROOTDIR and QUARTUS_ROOTDIR is not supplied anymore, so you will not see those applied to the .iipx files unless you specify them as well.

0 Kudos
gyuunyuu
New Contributor II

I created an environment variable and then put its name into the relative-vars. However, when the ipx file is generated, it does not contain the variable  name as if it has been basically ignored. I do not understand why this is so.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hmmm...not sure why it does not show up in the file. I have filed to the engineering team to check on this. While the engineering may takes some time to fix this, you may use the absolute path name in your .ipx file. It should work as usual. 

Best Regards,
Shyan Yew

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @gyuunyuu 

I was able to make this work on my Windows machine. One thing I noticed was that you need to reboot your command prompt after you set your env var to take effect.

I used "echo %MY_DEST_ROOT%" to make sure the is active within that shell.

RichardTanSY_Intel_0-1622283316604.png

RichardTanSY_Intel_1-1622283379659.png

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I have yet to receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided but I believed that I have answered your question. 
With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

0 Kudos