Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

IP core scripting or regeneration from QIP

TMayd
Novice

Hello,

I've been building a project with a fair number of IP cores. In the interest of being able to store the minimum required in GIT I was wondering if there's a way to get the generation script for the IP Core after you use the megawizard to create it?

I know there is the ip-generate utility, but I'm not sure how to translate something from the megawizard to this script. I can not find any documentation, especially for more advanced IP cores such as Qsys NCOs. 

Alternatively, should I just save the .QIP and .V files in git? I've noticed with this method it struggles to make changes using the megawizard on files it hasn't generated in the project folder specifically. Any advice and help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RichardTanSY_Intel

Ya, you can also easily create a script that makes all the assignments for an existing project, and then use the script at any time to restore your project settings to a known state. 

From the Project menu, click Generate Tcl File for Project to automatically generate a .tcl file with all of your assignments. You can source this file to recreate your project, and you can edit the file to add other commands, such as compiling the design. 

To answer back if there's is a way to get the generation script for the IP Core after use the megawizard to create:
I don't think there is a way to do that, you might need to manually write the script. It's best to provide the .qip or .ip file directly to the user. 

If you want to generate an IP using a script or the command line interface, you may checkout an example KDB below:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd12182013_862.html

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Do you meant to migrate the IP to another project? If so, I believe .qip or .qsys or .ip file should be good enough.

To modify one of your existing IP core variations, perform one of the following:

Option 1: Click File > Open and select the top-level HDL(.v, or .vhd) IP variation file to launch the parameter editor and modify the IP variation. Regenerate the IP variation to implement your changes.
Option 2: Click View > Utility Windows > Project Navigator > IP Components and double-click the IP variation to launch the parameter editor and modify the IP variation. Regenerate the IP variation to implement your changes.

I recommend option 2 as the way to make changes to the IP. 

Option 1 is the option used when you lose the .qip file. Any changes made in the .v file will be lose upon running the .qip in megawizard (currently called IP Catalog).

To know more about Intel® FPGA IP Cores, you may checkout the document below:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_intro_to_megafunctions.pdf

0 Kudos
TMayd
Novice

So in your script to build a new project using that IP you would just include the file location of the .QIP file and that should be all you need?

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Ya, you can also easily create a script that makes all the assignments for an existing project, and then use the script at any time to restore your project settings to a known state. 

From the Project menu, click Generate Tcl File for Project to automatically generate a .tcl file with all of your assignments. You can source this file to recreate your project, and you can edit the file to add other commands, such as compiling the design. 

To answer back if there's is a way to get the generation script for the IP Core after use the megawizard to create:
I don't think there is a way to do that, you might need to manually write the script. It's best to provide the .qip or .ip file directly to the user. 

If you want to generate an IP using a script or the command line interface, you may checkout an example KDB below:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd12182013_862.html

0 Kudos
TMayd
Novice
0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos