Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16604 Discussions

Implementing OpenCL in an existing SoC project

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I have an existing Cyclone V project, with the HPS and custom IP-cores instantiated in QSys (board.qsys). 

Additionally I have custom modules in VHDL, so I have something like: 

-top.vhd 

-- module 1 

-----module 1.1 

-----module 1.2 

-- module 2 

-- board.qsys 

I have modified the board.qsys file using the c5soc reference platform. 

As I understand I have to include this in the system.qsys, which in turn is included in the top.v file of the OpenCL project: 

-top.v 

--system.qsys 

----board.qsys 

Additionally I have to compile the board.qsys project to ensure timing and export the result to a .qpf file. 

But I'm not sure where the custom VHDL modules goes: 

Do they have to be part of the exported .qpf file, do I have to wrap them in an IP-core and include it in the board.qsys file or so I have to remap it in my new top.v file where system.qsys is included? 

Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated! 

Nikolai
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The custom platform guide mentions that you have to "preserve all non kernel logic": https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/opencl-sdk/ug_aocl_custom_platform_toolkit.pdf 

At the same time, non of the reference platforms that was included in my Cyclone V OpenCL download, have VHDL modules below top.v(hd)
0 Kudos