Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15469 Discussions

Inferring ROM for MAX 10 FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am trying to get Quartus Prime Lite to infer a ROM using the on chip memory (M9K) for MAX 10 FPGA. Instead the ROM gets implemented using LEs which significantly blows up my resource utilisation. I am using the VHDL template in Quartus  

Edit - Insert Template - VHDL - Full Designs - RAMs and ROMs - Single-Port ROM 

I have also tried adding the romstyle attribute, but no luck. 

As an experiment, I changed the device to Cyclone IV and the ROM gets successfully implemented in on chip memory. 

I have searched online and a I came across a solution using MIF files - https://alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54407 

However, this solution is too inflexible for me. I'd like to use VHDL rather than the tool's IP wizard. 

Wondering if anyone has a solution for me? This is driving me crazy. The same VHDL also gets successfully mapped to BRAM on Xilinx devices. Is this a bug in Quartus Prime for MAX 10 FPGAs? 

Regards, 

Singh
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A possible reason that you are using a "compact" MAX10 type that doesn't provide RAM initialization, e.g. SC type. Which device are you compiling the design for?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi FvM, 

Thanks for your reply. 

It's 10M16SAU169C8G 

Regards, 

Singh