Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16608 Discussions

Installing Devices on Quartus II Web Edition (Free)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I downloaded the combined files and installed Quartus II (14.0.0.300 64-bit) on my PC. I can't open a project unless I install the devices. The install dialogue asks for the directory that "contains the Quartus II device files (.qdz)." I can't find this anywhere.  

How can I install the devices? 

Thank You
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not sure about where they end up with the combined download, but you can download device support files from the "Individual Files" section of here http://dl.altera.com/?edition=web

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also downloaded the combined version and ended with request to install devices separately. No big deal - downloaded the device files separately and installed these devices - just the meaning of"combined" is questionable... :-)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you I managed to install the software correctly. Now I would love if ModelSim would work. I need to find the path to the executable for ModelSim, but there are tons of directories. Where is the executable stored?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I need to find the path to the executable for ModelSim, but there are tons of directories. Where is the executable stored? 

--- Quote End ---  

Its installed in the modelsim_ase/win32aloem directory. 

For example, if I start the NIOS II IDE Shell for my 12.1sp1 Web Edition install, and ask where vsim is (the command-line name for Modelsim), I get ... 

dwh@kiwi /cygdrive/c/software/altera/12.1sp1_free 

$ which vsim 

/cygdrive/c/software/altera/12.1sp1_free/modelsim_ase/win32aloem/vsim 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Alright I now have the executable selected, thank you. But what is the designated output directory? In the EDA simulation library compiler it asks for an output directory, but I can't create my own because it says one is already created. Where is this directory? 

Thank you
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Alright I now have the executable selected, thank you. But what is the designated output directory? In the EDA simulation library compiler it asks for an output directory, but I can't create my own because it says one is already created. Where is this directory? 

--- Quote End ---  

That must be a new option. The 12.1ps1 web version I have installed on this computer just needs the executable under the EDA settings. Let me wander over to another computer ... 

Nope, its the same under 14.0. "Tools->Options, General, EDA Tool Options, Modelsim-Altera" just wants the path to the tool.  

I'm not sure what output directory you are referring to. I have never needed to setup that option :) 

Email me a screen shot of what you are looking at and I'll post it to this thread. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ah got it all good thanks for all the help

0 Kudos