Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16558 Discussions

Intel FPGA Unique Chip ID always zero

swtsven
Beginner

Hi,

I added the Unique Chip ID Intel FPGA IP to my platform for an Arria V FPGA.

To read the Chip ID I created a custom IP with a Avalon Streaming Sink (data[63:0],valid) and split the data into two 32-bit registers to read the ID directly with 2x 32 Bit-PIO-Ports. The PIO ports are used to access the Chip ID via Nios II soft processor.

Problem:
Although "valid" is '1' which is supposed to signal a ready Chip ID the value is always 0. See below attached Signal Tap Screenshot.
Screenshot_Logic_Analyzer_Chip_ID.png

For some reason it is not possible to trigger neither on falling edge of 'reset' nor on rising edge of 'data_valid'.

Note:
System with Nios II Processor is running, so there must be a working reset and clock.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Sven

0 Kudos
1 Solution
swtsven
Beginner

The problem occured due to an improper reset wich is active high for the Unique Chip ID IP. Furthermore, the timing of the reset pulse seemed to be relevant in some way.

Solution:
I apply a delayed reset pulse to the reset input of the Unique Chip ID IP which is a bit longer than the asked 10 clock cycles.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
markjerry90909
Beginner

Chip ID Intel FPGA IP Cores User Guide

please check for the guide you will get the solution

Each supported Intel® FPGA has a unique 64-bit chip ID. Chip ID Intel® FPGA IP cores allow you to read out this chip ID for device identification.

0 Kudos
swtsven
Beginner

The problem occured due to an improper reset wich is active high for the Unique Chip ID IP. Furthermore, the timing of the reset pulse seemed to be relevant in some way.

Solution:
I apply a delayed reset pulse to the reset input of the Unique Chip ID IP which is a bit longer than the asked 10 clock cycles.

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Can you try to read the chip_id[63:0] directly after your FPGA is fully loaded and when data_valid is high.

0 Kudos