Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15329 Discussions

Is there an SDC/TCL command for returning the clock associated with a logic cell?

krieg
Novice

In Vivado, I can do this with

set myreg [get_cells -hierarchihcal myregister] set myreg_clk [get_clocks -of_objects $myreg]

The Quartus version of get_clocks does not seem to have the -of_objects argument. Has anyone figured out a way to get the clock associated with a logic cell?

A little background: I have a design that uses multiple clock domains and I want to be able to add constraints based on the clock periods. In Vivado, I wrote a constraints file that does this for all instances of my design within the top-level design. I am trying to do the same in Quartus.

I am using Quartus Prime Pro 18.0.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
krieg
Novice

Taking inspiration from sstrell's answer, I was able to solve this.

The code below is an excerpt from my initial success. It has not yet been tested with multiple designs.

# get all clocks set clks [all_clocks] # get the register that I want to constrain set my_reg [get_cells -hierarchical *myregistername] # get all fanins to my register (use -stop_at_clock so it doesn't go all the way back to the master clock) set fanins [get_fanins -clock -stop_at_clocks [get_object_info -name $my_reg]] # find which fanin is a clock pin foreach_in_collection fanin $fanins { if {[get_object_info -type $fanin] == "pin"} { if {[get_pin_info -is_clock_pin $fanin]} { set clkpin $fanin } } } # get the clock pin net ID set clknet [get_pin_info -net $clkpin] # compare the clock pin net ID to each clock in the design; get the period of the clock that matches foreach_in_collection clk $clks { if {[get_object_info -name [get_clock_info -targets $clk]] == [get_object_info -name $clknet]} { set clkperiod [get_clock_info -period $clk] } }

View solution in original post

5 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

When you create the clock constraints themselves in your .sdc file, you define the period. There's no need that I see to know what logic the clock is driving. That's set up in your design itself.

I guess you could use the get_fanouts collection (not standard SDC) to create a collection of all the logic driven by a clock. Something like this:

set myreg_clk [get_fanouts [get_pins pll|outclk] -through [get_pins -hierarchical *|clk]]

So whatever registers have this PLL clock output driven into the registers' clk input will be included in the collection. Is that what you're looking for?

#iwork4intel

krieg
Novice

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with your first statement. There is no need to know what logic my clocks are driving. Allow me to explain more about what I am trying to do.

My design is intended for reuse and will be implemented in many top-level designs, all with potentially different clocking schemes. I am writing a constraints file that any future user of my design can add to his/her project. It needs to correctly apply constraints based on the top-level design's clock domains. For this reason, the constraints file needs to be agnostic to the top-level design's clocking scheme.

So I am not trying to determine which registers are driven by each clock. Rather I am trying to determine which clock is driving a specific register.

I think it may be possible to accomplish this with what you suggested. It would go something like this:

• Get the register that I want to constrain
  • Get a list of all clocks in the top-level design
  • Get a list of all registers driven by each clock
  • Match my register to one of the lists (now I know which clock drives my register)

This would be several lines of code (as opposed to the two lines that it took in Vivado). I'm hoping there is a simpler solution to this, but I think that this would get the job done. If you have any more suggestions based on what I wrote here, I would be happy to hear them. Either way, I will post my final solution so that others can possibly benefit from it.

krieg
Novice

Taking inspiration from sstrell's answer, I was able to solve this.

The code below is an excerpt from my initial success. It has not yet been tested with multiple designs.

# get all clocks set clks [all_clocks] # get the register that I want to constrain set my_reg [get_cells -hierarchical *myregistername] # get all fanins to my register (use -stop_at_clock so it doesn't go all the way back to the master clock) set fanins [get_fanins -clock -stop_at_clocks [get_object_info -name $my_reg]] # find which fanin is a clock pin foreach_in_collection fanin $fanins { if {[get_object_info -type $fanin] == "pin"} { if {[get_pin_info -is_clock_pin $fanin]} { set clkpin $fanin } } } # get the clock pin net ID set clknet [get_pin_info -net $clkpin] # compare the clock pin net ID to each clock in the design; get the period of the clock that matches foreach_in_collection clk $clks { if {[get_object_info -name [get_clock_info -targets $clk]] == [get_object_info -name $clknet]} { set clkperiod [get_clock_info -period $clk] } }

Kenny_Tan
good to hear that. have to test in multiple designs?
Kenny_Tan
Any update?