Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Is there any recommended way to generate "ASMI parallel ip" readable configuration data file?

RobertLiang
New Contributor I

Hello,

I have studied Remote System Upgrade for a month, and a rough block diagram for my design has been illustrated below.

// The diagram has been hidden for privacy protection.

Design introduction

The general idea in my design is to simultaneously upgrade the application image for several boards which connect by transceivers. The factory image can be easily loaded to the EPCQ flash by "programmer" in Quartus, but I am worried about how to load the application image:

Question

In this design, I am going to use "ASMI parallel IP" to write app image data to EPCQ flash. But as the red mark shows, the question is how can I get the data file to write to this IP core? Does Quartus software provide a tool to do this? What is it?

Probable method

Compile the application image project to get the ".sof" file, and convert it to binary format. The PC read the ".bin" file and transmit the data.

I am worried that this is not the recommended method.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You can create your own interface to communicate with the ASMI block. For the binary file, you can create the rpd (raw programming file) file using "Convert Programming File" feature in Quartus.

You may refer to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/uploads/b/b2/Tutorial_Write_Raw_Programming_Data_(.rpd)_into_flash_devices.pdf which is the example design which utilize JTAG to Avalon Master interface to write to the flash.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You can create your own interface to communicate with the ASMI block. For the binary file, you can create the rpd (raw programming file) file using "Convert Programming File" feature in Quartus.

You may refer to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/uploads/b/b2/Tutorial_Write_Raw_Programming_Data_(.rpd)_into_flash_devices.pdf which is the example design which utilize JTAG to Avalon Master interface to write to the flash.

RobertLiang
New Contributor I
0 Kudos