Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16689 Discussions

Issue converting programming files for the Stratix10GX Dev Kit

SamGilligan
Beginner

I'm currently working with the Stratix10GX Dev Kit using Quartus Pro 21.4

To program test images to flash, the images are first converted using the provided build_hw.sh through the Nios II Command Shell.

The script fails because the COF being generated cannot be run by quartus_cpf, as it seems the Stratix10GX is not supported through Convert Programming File.

The error then recommends using the newer Programming File Generator, but the settings used in the COF don't appear to be compatible.

Could the build_hw.sh please be updated to use the newer Programming File Generator?

Thanks,

Sam

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Can't you just use the Programming File Generator directly?  Why do you need to use that script?

0 Kudos
SamGilligan
Beginner

The board update portal asks to use it.

SamGilligan_0-1705017444688.png

But more specifically, it appears the script appears to create a cof file with the following settings:

startaddr="02C00000"
  username="Page_1"
  pageflags="2"

This generates a pof file, which is then converted to a binary using the following:

str=`xxd -l 200 -ps -c 200 ${filename}.pof | sed 's/ffffff*//g'`
  head=`expr length $str`
  len=`expr $head / 2 + 46137344`
  dd skip=$len count=45088700 if=${filename}.pof of=${filename}.bin ibs=1 obs=1048576

Which appears to just be selecting a raw section of the pof and copying it out.

When using the Programming File Generator directly, it will not allow the creation of a pof with Page set to 1 (equiv to pageflags=2 in a cof).

It also doesn't do the second step of extracting a raw section of the pof file.

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Are you referring to the factory_recovery\build_factory_source\PRD\build_hw.sh ? If yes, let me please take a look at it.

Regards

0 Kudos
SamGilligan
Beginner

Here's the build_hw.sh

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

May I also know why you say "Stratix10GX is not supported through Convert Programming File.". Any document you referred, that mentions this?

Regards

0 Kudos
SamGilligan
Beginner

It seems to be printed out in response to using the script, and also appears if you attempt to add the sof file inside the Convert Programming Files GUI.
The error message is:
"Error(20687): Convert Programming Files does not support the target device 1sg280hu2f50e2vg. Please use Programming File Generator to generate the programming file for the target device."

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the providing the information. I found a thread about similar problem. Please check it:

Converting .sof file to .flash file for Stratix 10 GX development kit - Intel Community

Regards

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

As we did not get any response on my previous comment, assuming that the other forum discussion might have helped you resolving the issue. Setting this case to closure. However, it will still be open for the community members to comment on.

Regards

0 Kudos