Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

JTAG Communication error

TTyag
Beginner

Hi,

I am programming my Stratix V FPGA board and using the 'In system memory content editor' to change the parameters of my design in real time. But as I try to write the parameter values in the memory I see JTAG communication error. Please see the screenshot. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

From the error message, seems like the device selected is not correct. Can you try to select the correct device with correct part number?

0 Kudos
TTyag
Beginner

Hi,

I checked for the device name but it is correct. Also the error does not come up every time.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Is this intermittent issue? As in the JTAG communication passed and failed between intervals. 
Or is there any specific action that you execute that could cause JTAG communication error?  

The possible causes that this error pop up is that the communications cable, such as the ByteBlasterMV or ByteBlaster II cable, is no long configured or connected. Or you specified a device that does not match the device on the circuit board. As a result, this tool cannot conduct any JTAG communication with the device.

I am suspecting this could be hardware issue. Have you try to program using different cable or device?  

0 Kudos
TTyag
Beginner

Yes, this is an intermittent issue and occurs only when I try to write my parameter values. I tried using different cables but that didn't work.

It has been working fine for a while now but I couldn't find a reasonable justification as to why it happened in the first place.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

It will be hard to pinpoint the root cause if this is an intermittent issue. I suspect this could be a loose connection between the board and the cables. 

As you mentioned that the connection has been working fine, with that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos