Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16740 Discussions

LVDS SERDES IP compile error in Stratix10, Quartus Prime Pro 20.3

ErinS
Beginner

Hi,

I have a compile error in my Quartus 20.3 project that appears to be within the Intel-generated LVDS SERDES IP.  Can you provide additional insight into what the following error indicates as root cause?  I believe the complaint is about a connection within the Intel IP:
"The serial pin LVDSOUT for the LVDS SERDES IP instance dsi2_host_phy_top|phy_wrapper|tx_dphy_top|clk_lane_altera|lvds_0|core|arch_inst|channels[0].tx.serdes_dpa_isnt must be pulled up to the top level and cannot fan out to anything else."

This LVDS IP instance is configured as TX, 1 channel, SERDES factor=8 with external PLL.

Thanks,

Erin

I discovered that Quartus believes the LVDSOUT signal is being fanned out because it is not reading the Verilog HDL macro I've set for the project, corresponding to a Verilog `ifdef around the fanned out signal.  So I need to modify the question to discover what the proper way is to set a Verilog define in Quartus 20.3.  The method I used in Quartus 19.1 does not appear to work  (Assignments -> Settings; Verilog HDL Input; Verilog HDL macro; Name: <Verilog define name>, Setting: 1)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am not able to reproduce the error for the directive usage. Quartus 20.3 and S10 device is able to consider the macro definition correctly.

The error may be due to the `else part where tool might be routing the LVDS output to other glue logic and not the pin, because that it is the only possible way it is expecting.

Regards

0 Kudos
ErinS
Beginner

It appears that setting the Verilog macro wasn't being saved.  There is a separate button to do this in the GUI, not just the OK/Apply buttons.  Once I was able to confirm it was saved, the fanout issue was resolved.  Thank you - Erin

0 Kudos
BikshuNaik
Beginner

Hi ErinS,

I am having the same error as you mentioned in your post,  while instantiating the LVDS SERDES IP.  I could not understand what is the macro you set for this IP and what have you mentioned in the <verilog define name> (Assignments -> Settings; Verilog HDL Input; Verilog HDL macro; Name: <Verilog define name>, Setting: 1). 

So can you please help me.

thank you.

0 Kudos
BikshuNaik
Beginner

Hi,

Can someone please help me with the solution for the "The serial pin LVDSOUT for the LVDS SERDES IP instance dsi2_host_phy_top|phy_wrapper|tx_dphy_top|clk_lane_altera|lvds_0|core|arch_inst|channels[0].tx.serdes_dpa_isnt must be pulled up to the top level and cannot fan out to anything else."  issue.  What is the macro i should set for this LVDSOUT signal so that it won't be consider being fanned out.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos