Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16842 Discussions

Linux Qsys Now "platform designer", ALT_PLL Altera FPGA IP doesn't save, crash.

RRomano001
New Contributor I

Linux Qsys Now "platform designer", from old time still has trouble never addressed.

ALT_PLL Altera FPGA IP open in a small window with scroll bar, if something is touched in this state after long time crash.

If enlarged scroll bar disappear and PLL can be edited but again doesn't save.

This trouble is present till version 15.0.

Tcl file is messed up and unreadable.

The only way to use PLL on linux platform is to import old PLL file then edit parameter by hand.

Attached actual file I patched to generate Frequency I need on my design.

When opened for edit all parameter are set in different unit and still try to save leave untouched.

How can I cure this unpleasant issue?

Linux Mint release 17.2

Intel I7, Sony Vaio Pro SVS1511C5E 16GB ram.

As oon picture crash.Screenshot from 2019-04-24 16:55:12.png

0 Kudos
23 Replies
gregh3285
Novice

This post is a bit far afield from the original post.  But if you're taking the FPGA Design for Embedded Systems Specialization on Coursera and attempting to use a Linux for Quartus Prime, you'll probably end up here.

Intel stopped licensing modelsim from Mentor (now Siemens) before Quartus Prime 23.  That will be the next hurdle.  And if you do try to get modelsim running under linux (the assignment grader uses modelsim scripting), you will need to get an older version of Quartus running (and the older version may not be available on Intel's site anymore, so you may need to use the class' provided binaries).  The modelsim executable was compiled in 32 bit mode, so you'll need to go install 32 bit system libraries.  There are breadcrumbs out there to explain.  Where you will be stopped dead in your tracks is when you get to using Nios.  Nios uses a custom modified version of eclipse.  Eclipse is a bit crufty and demands a specific version of the Java virtual machine.  I fought with that mightily.  Under Ubuntu it was just a non starter.  Intel suggests it *can* work under SUSE.  I stood up a version of SUSE in an attempt to make it work.  I was never successful.  I have a day job.  I got sick of dumping time into tool issues.  This pained me.  Like you, I am a Linux advocate -- I haven't run Windows at home as my daily driver in at least 15 years.  I wasn't willing to give up.  So, I hear you.  To your criticism of this.  I get it.  I think the challenge for the creators of the class is that the effort to create the class is HUGE.   To retool the class to use a newer version of Quartus would mean redoing the videos and the quizzes.  Basically they'd need to start over.  I will say that when I did switch to Windows, it just worked (using the binaries provided by the class).  I understand the idealism.  But, be careful, your time is valuable.  I think I posted comments about this in the class forum.  Look me up.  It's been a year plus.  I will say that it was a fun class!  I'll also say that the automatic grader (at the time) didn't give good feedback and sometimes would give you points off for reasons that were inexplicable.  Don't fret over that.

Serqetry
Novice

You are awesome for explaining all this.  I figured out the Modelsim issue already.  I am using Arch Linux and there is an AUR package for the version 20.1 modelsim for this very reason.  It works fine with 21.1 Quartus and newer, even if it is ugly (so is Qsys/Platform Designer).  Honestly using those tools in a Windows VM wouldn't be much worse than using these old barely readable Java apps that aren't made for 4K screens on Linux anyway.  Quartus itself works quite well in Linux for the most part, so that's nice at least.

What you say about the Nios Eclipse editor makes the situation quite clear to me.  I have used modified Eclipse editors before (TI's CCS editor for the MSP430) and it's not a great experience... so I can only imagine.  I'll give it a go to see if I can get it working with Arch, but I won't waste my time if it doesn't look good from the start.   For the Coursera course, using the old versions of stuff in a Windows VM definitely seems like the smart choice.

Thanks for all your insight!

0 Kudos
Ivan11
Beginner

Welp... thank you for that insight. I've been taking these courses and fighting my way until I too got stuck with this bug on week 2 of the last course. I have the same issues trying to run the ALT_PLL creation dialog. I guess it's time to dust off the Windows installation.

As for ModelSim, I used the standalone version 20.1. The installer needed some libraries under Fedora (not officially supported), just check what library was missing if the installer crashes.

0 Kudos