Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Long synthesis & analyse duration for a small design

MichaelB
New Contributor I

Hello,

I have a question regarding Intel Quartus Prime Pro 19.2.

Due I'm currently developing for a new FPGA project for Stratix 10 I've recognised the compile duration is very long.

In Quartus it took more than one hour to complete the compilation.

I've started the program with 64GB RAM (which is recommended) and 8 CPUs but I don't think it's a resource problem.

Operating system is CentOS 6.

Even the analyse of the files took more than 15 minutes and I'd like to know if there are any licenses restrictions or known issues why this takes so much time.

About the implemention:

It's a small PCS implementation with 8B10B encoder/decoder with a small top-level FSM to send some frames using the E-Tiles for initial testing purpose of PAM4.

Could you help me with this topic or do you have any further experiences with long compilation time using this operation system?

Could this be a restriction in licensing even if I have Quartus Pro license (not expired!)?

(See screenshots attached from Quartus compilation time.)

If you need further information feel free to ask!

I'm thankful for any help or hints! 🙂

Kind regards,

Michael

Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 10.56.04.png

Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 11.35.11.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

The compilation time is not affected by the types of license you have subscribed. It depends on the design complexity and the machine performance; it can vary from hours to days.

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

The compilation time is not affected by the types of license you have subscribed. It depends on the design complexity and the machine performance; it can vary from hours to days.

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

MichaelB
New Contributor I

Dear Khaki,

thanks a lot for your reply! I already thought by myself the license type will not affect this but I wanted to be sure.

Due the design has a really low complexity I think the machine performance (hard drive) will cause the long duration.

Thank you! 🙂

Kind regards,

Michael

0 Kudos