Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16558 Discussions

MegaWizard Plug-In Manger Not Working

PSAND2
Beginner

I'm using Quartus 13.0sp1 Web (free software). Have a project started over a year ago. Have an NCO and FFT. Now, I was going to make a change and the MegaWizard does not work. When editing the NCO, FFT or any other IP, then press the Generate button, MegaWizard simply creates a temporary directory and just stays there. Have to "cancel" to close MegaWizard. No changes were made by MegaWizard. It's broke.

More details:

When you create an IP you set up the Parameters, then Simulation, then Generate. When one presses Generate a popup shows the progress of MegaWizard with a GREEN bar in the right bottom. This shows the progress. One can either Exit or Cancel from that popup. My GREEN bar goes to the middle and stays there. The only way to get out of that popup is by pressing Cancel. Exit does nothing. Exit is pressed when the IP is finished. But mine never gets that far. The only other choice is Cancel in which case no IP is generated or changes are implemented. This then brings one back to the Parameter, Simulation, Generate box.

Just downloaded and installed Quartus 13.0sp1 last night. Running Windows 7.

Also, I cannot create any new IP. Same thing happens. Once one clicks on the Generate button it simply hangs up. I tried creating a new project and just have an FFT IP. Same thing. MegaWizard does not work.

No errors are reported in the Velocity log file.

Have another PC ​running Windows XP. MegaWizard works OK.

Anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks, swimteam.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MuhammadAr_U_Intel

Hi,

Reading though the description you provided, it sounds like initially you were able to generate the IP in Quartus 13.0sp1 but now it doesn't work. Was there any updates in your system that could have corrupted that.

Are you able to try same on different PC ?

Also wondering why you still want to use Quartus 13.0, you can use Quartus Prime 18.1 Lite Edition.

Thanks,

Arslan

0 Kudos
PSAND2
Beginner

Appreciate your time.

I am using 13.0sp1 since it supports Cyclone 2. I have the DSK Development kit. Newer versions don't support Cyclone 2.

Windows 7 is always updating. If that caused the MegaWizard not to work it would be impossible to find the update since there are so many of them.

I have another HP laptop (Elitebook) running Windows XP. MegaWizard works OK on that which also has 13.0sp1.

I did a complete uninstall of 13.0 sp1 and then downloaded & installed it again. Same symptoms.

Is there anyway to debug to find the problem? I looked at the Velocity Log file

but that did not show any errors.

swimteam

0 Kudos
MuhammadAr_U_Intel

This is possible some of the user Quartus files are corrupted.

You can either create a new user on your PC and launch quartus from there

Or

For existing user, locate following files in your user directory.

Create a backup of these files and then re-launch the Quartus

.altera.quartus

quartus2.ini

quartus2.qreg

Let me know if this is helpful.

0 Kudos
PSAND2
Beginner

Thanks. I'll try this tonight after work. and let you know if it works.

swimteam​

0 Kudos
PSAND2
Beginner

I did what you said to do. It still did not work.

I deleted everything that could have been associated with Quartus.  I uninstalled everything. Then re-installed.

Still did not work.   BUT--

Upset at this I went to the Windows Start Menu, all programs. Under Quartus I found that the MegaWizard is a separate program.

I right clicked and opened the Properties. Select tab Compatibility. (Don't remember every doing this before.) There's an unchecked box. I checked the box and then selected Windows 7. At the bottom there is another unchecked box. I checked that box which says -- Run this program as an administrator.

MegaWizard works -- at least by itself. Now I have to start Quartus and see if it works from there.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
PSAND2
Beginner

STRANGE -- MegaWizard does NOT work when invoked from Quartus. You have to run it separately.

That's to me means there's some setting in Quartus that is not correct or missing. Don't know what.

0 Kudos
PSAND2
Beginner

Looks like I spoke to fast. MegaWizard only worked once for creating a new IP. Doesn't work after that.

Intel is going to have to find & fix that bug.

Only solution is to development or edit any IP on a Windows XP PC, archive it, then transfer it to the Windows 7 PC.

swimteam

0 Kudos
MuhammadAr_U_Intel

Hi,

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused, currently there is no planned fixes for older version of Quartus.

Given the scenario you can't update the Quartus version, at the moment the only possible solution is to use the Quartus 13.0 in Windows XP for the NCO and FFT IP.

Thanks,

Arslan

0 Kudos
PSAND2
Beginner

Thanks. That's what I found out.

I can get the new Quartus but it doesn't support the Cyclone II which is what is on the DSK Development board.​

0 Kudos