Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

MegaWizard with LPM_MUX runs extremely slowly and is unusable

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using Quartus Standard 17.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 Linux. 

When attempting to generate IP (specifically the LPM_MUX with 2 inputs, 4 outputs), the "MegaWizard Plug-in Manager" opens normally and I can configure the parameters. Then if I click "Next" it will take me to the EDA tab. Or if I click "Finish" it will take me to the Summary tab. Both of these choices leads to a situation where the dialog's UI runs extremely slowly. By this I mean: 

• the dialog is almost completely unresponsive to mouse clicks - on the Summary tab I can select or deselect a tickbox but it can take around 1 - 2 minutes before the tick appears or disappears 

• clicking "Next" or "Back" on the EDA tab, or "Back" or "Finish" on the Summary tab is also highly unresponsive. And in fact I don't think I ever got it to actually "Finish". 

• I can resize the dialog freely but the dialog does not redraw itself in any reasonable period of time. 

Using "top" I can see that a process called "mega_lpm_muxq" runs at 100% CPU as soon as the dialog moves to EDA or Summary pages. It doesn't run anywhere near 100% when on the Parameter Settings tab, at least initially. 

The relevant .qip file has been created at this time, but the contents is zero (file has size zero). There's also a .cnx file which is populated with some text. There's also greybox_tmp/cbx_args.txt which seems to contain the Parameters I set on the first tab. 

I cannot close the dialog with the usual windowmanager's "X" button, but I can xkill it and control returns to Quartus. 

I did not have this problem when generating the PLL IP. 

Has anyone else seen this behaviour, or know of a way to generate the IP files without using the Wizard?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have discovered that if I'm looking at the first "Parameters" tab and then I very rapidly double-click the Finish button, it will close the dialog and proceed without slowing down. Of course I lose the opportunity to configure anything on the EDA or Summary tabs, but at least I can proceed. 

Does anyone else running Quartus Standard 17.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 see this same general issue? Can anyone from Intel/Altera respond?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

I have discovered that if I'm looking at the first "Parameters" tab and then I very rapidly double-click the Finish button, it will close the dialog and proceed without slowing down. Of course I lose the opportunity to configure anything on the EDA or Summary tabs, but at least I can proceed. 

Does anyone else running Quartus Standard 17.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 see this same general issue? Can anyone from Intel/Altera respond? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes,Recreated the scenario with Quartus Standard 17.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 environment. 

I have observed following: 

Next key after selecting EDA netlist,Check box in summary tab and finish key are not instantly responding.But i was able to generate files after some time. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dadtzdmcmakwgk5fu521nxd8tuic0xna 

This is randomly occurring. some time i'm able to generate files with out any issue. Also other IP like PLL are working fine. 

But the LPM_MUX works fine on windows environment. 

We will come back on this soon. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Any update on this please? We're seeing a similar problem with the Altera PLL megawizard when certain settings are changed.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Here is update from Engineering Team. 

There is no issue generating the 2 inputs, 4 outputs LPM_MUX with CentOS and RedHat. So problem here is Ubuntu specified.  

To get rid of Ubuntu 16.04 hung issue. 

1.Install Java from Oracle.  

Java version after install is: 

java version "1.8.0_121" 

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b13) 

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode) 

2. Need to install Quartus in a directory path that has no uppercase letters. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, thanks for the update. 

> 2. Need to install Quartus in a directory path that has no uppercase letters. 

Does this mean that the default installation directory of "intelFPGA", which contains uppercase letters, needs to be changed to something else, such as "intelfpga"?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Maybe Not required if we are using default path. 

Need to recheck on this with the team. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is the same issue we had earlier with the hang of MegaWizard when trying to configure an ALTPLL instance. Probably an issue with Ubuntu's X display. 

One simple workaround I found is to start Quartus through an ssh tunnel to localhost with X display forwarding: 

When you normally start quartus with 

/opt/intelFPGA_lite/17.0/quartus/bin/quartus  

start it instead with 

ssh -Y localhost /opt/intelFPGA_lite/17.0/quartus/bin/quartus  

the latter command will reliably avoid the MegaWizard hang (at least for me). No need to rename or reinstall anything.
baetis-ma
Beginner

ssh -Y localhost worked for me too. Thank you very much!!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

This is the same issue we had earlier with the hang of MegaWizard when trying to configure an ALTPLL instance. Probably an issue with Ubuntu's X display. 

One simple workaround I found is to start Quartus through an ssh tunnel to localhost with X display forwarding: 

When you normally start quartus with 

/opt/intelFPGA_lite/17.0/quartus/bin/quartus  

start it instead with 

ssh -Y localhost /opt/intelFPGA_lite/17.0/quartus/bin/quartus  

the latter command will reliably avoid the MegaWizard hang (at least for me). No need to rename or reinstall anything. 

--- Quote End ---  

Wow.. U are a true lyf saver. i had same issue. . Already killed half of my day struggling on Megawizard SCFIFO generation GUI sluggishness 

with Ubuntu 16.04 and Quartus Prime 17.1 

My installation path was different  

ssh -Y localhost /home/quest/intelFPGA_lite/17.1/quartus/bin/quartus 

Worked with no issues..
0 Kudos
MFarn
Beginner

I see a similar problem with mega_ramq using Quartus 18. The application appeared to work correctly the first three times, then blocked events with cpu at 100%.

The suggestion that capital letters in the path is a problem, seems absurd. Intel recommends the path must be intelFPGA.

The suggestion that java is a problem seems to have no basis in reality. This is a QT application.

Every time I see the application get stuck it is at the same spot. I see only a single thread.

Initially I suspected a lost partner process, but reboot did not help. Then I considered file corruption.

If I change to a new project, I can generate the IP without any issue. It works at least once.

The problem could be a tight loop around trying to receive a message response, before it has been processed or some bad data in a file; or resource overflow.

Stack Trace ---

#0 0x00007f027961e4a1 in QApplication::compressEvent(QEvent*, QObject*, QPostEventList*) ()

at /opt/intel/intelFPGA/quartus/linux64/libQtGui.so.4

#1 0x00007f027a33ef3e in QCoreApplication::postEvent(QObject*, QEvent*, int) ()

at /opt/intel/intelFPGA/quartus/linux64/libQtCore.so.4

#2 0x00007f027967c475 in QWidget::setVisible(bool) () at /opt/intel/intelFPGA/quartus/linux64/libQtGui.so.4

#3 0x00007f0279b01e27 in QAbstractScrollAreaPrivate::layoutChildren() () at /opt/intel/intelFPGA/quartus/linux64/libQtGui.so.4

#4 0x00007f027a352308 in QObject::event(QEvent*) () at /opt/intel/intelFPGA/quartus/linux64/libQtCore.so.4

#5 0x00007f027967cf8f in QWidget::event(QEvent*) () at /opt/intel/intelFPGA/quartus/linux64/libQtGui.so.4

#6 0x00007f0279a70e7b in QFrame::event(QEvent*) () at /opt/intel/intelFPGA/quartus/linux64/libQtGui.so.4

#7 0x00007f0279b029d9 in QAbstractScrollArea::event(QEvent*) () at /opt/intel/intelFPGA/quartus/linux64/libQtGui.so.4

#8 0x00007f0279b06823 in QScrollArea::event(QEvent*) () at /opt/intel/intelFPGA/quartus/linux64/libQtGui.so.4

#9 0x00007f027961ee4f in QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper(QObject*, QEvent*) ()

at /opt/intel/intelFPGA/quartus/linux64/libQtGui.so.4

#10 0x00007f02796254a3 in QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) () at /opt/intel/intelFPGA/quartus/linux64/libQtGui.so.4

#11 0x00007f027a33e5b4 in QCoreApplication::notifyInternal(QObject*, QEvent*) ()

#12 0x00007f027a34225e in QCoreApplicationPrivate::sendPostedEvents(QObject*, int, QThreadData*) ()

#13 0x00007f027a371313 in () at /opt/intel/intelFPGA/quartus/linux64/libQtCore.so.4

#14 0x00007f027605b387 in g_main_context_dispatch () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0

#15 0x00007f027605b5c0 in () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0

#16 0x00007f027605b64c in g_main_context_iteration () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0

#17 0x00007f027a371505 in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) ()

#18 0x00007f02796cf87f in () at /opt/intel/intelFPGA/quartus/linux64/libQtGui.so.4

#19 0x00007f027a33d5c5 in QEventLoop::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) ()

#20 0x00007f027a33d998 in QEventLoop::exec(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) ()

Wxxx
Beginner

Quartus Prime Lite Edition 19.1 64bit under Linux MINT 19.2 64bit (Cinnamon) still same issue.

Workaround with SSH is working. Thanks.

In my case also running as root allow me to work with MegaWizard.

0 Kudos