Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15559 Discussions

Methods for auto-assigning parameters when adding an IP to a system

AGroz1
Beginner

I'm using Quartus 18.0

I want to add some info parameters in my IP (e.g., technology, family variant, speed grade, voltage, etc). The IP is generated with a _hw.tcl.

Commands like "set_parameter_property <param> SYSTEM_INFO DEVICE_FAMILY" are not enough.

These parameters will be used to select FPGA primitives and populate some read-only values(encoded) in the register map.

The parameter values will be encoded (e.g., {Cyclone 10}=11, {Arria 10}= 12 ) to be compliant with a register; to help users understand the selected option, I will prefer to keep the values as pairs (ALLOWED_RANGES {Cyclone 10:11}).

I want this values to be automatically set when adding the IP in a system, and user-editable if the method is not 100% reliable for all parameters and all FPGA devices.

Is there a similar package like device(Quartus) in qsys to determine device characteristics?

Any suggestions for IP level operations?

Thanks,

Andrei

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AGroz1
Beginner

I solved my problems:

• I used the VALIDATION_CALLBACK
  • to access the device package "package require quartus::device". e.g., "set dev_speed_grade    [quartus::device::get_part_info -speed_grade $device]"

Andrei