Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16602 Discussions

Mixing Verilog and VHDL in Quartus II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a firmware project that was originally done in Verilog, and is still supported in that language. I am working on a variant, and would like to use some existing code that is in VHDL. Although I have the complete source, I would prefer to instantiate the VHDL directly. Some of the models, particularly the processor, would be challenging to port - and take a long time on top. I know this can be done in Xilinx tools by dropping a verilog module declaration with matching ports into the design, and letting ISE figure out the mapping, but I don't know if the same method works in Quartus. My goal is to have a single "top level" VHDL module that instantiates all of the sub modules written in VHDL into the actual top level verilog file. Also, is there an Altera document that discusses mixed language synthesis? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

all you do is the same as in ISE - just write a component in the VHDL that maps to the verilog module and instantiate it. Quartus will work out the mapping fine.

0 Kudos