Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

how to enable 50Mhz Clock in DE2 board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have downloaded my program to DE2 board, but it seems no clock , so the sequence is not working for the program , all LEDs are on all the time, when i push the reset which is made through the push botton, all lights go off, so i think the clock is not enabled, is here any one who could help me 

thanks to every one
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As the user manual clarifies, the 50 MHz clock connects to FPGA pin N2, it's also declared as pin CLOCK_50 in most example designs. You just have to use it in your design.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you alot for the reply i alreday use the CLOCK_50 in my VHDL design instaed of clk that i used , but it is still the same, i think i need to make some dely between every state as the frequncy is 50Mhz(200 ns) and can not be recognized by human being, the machine moves from state a and in the next rising edge , it moves tio state B and then C, so can not see flashing

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If I understand right, you now discovered, that your design is working as expectable. 

Your considerations about the impossibility of tracing design operation at 50 MHz by looking at a LED display sound plausible, if no external events are needed to advance the state machine. 

Normally, people are feeding a 50 MHz clock to a design, because they want it to act fast. To visualize it's operation, you can use test tools like SignalTap - or a slow clock.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you so much for the reply, i do test my program by manaual clock it works fine, and i can trace the changing of the LEDs, but i really want to try the program by the internal clock, so how to slow the clock to the frequncy that i can trace my LEDs changes, 

your help is highly apprecaited
0 Kudos