Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

ModelSim INTEL FPGA STARTER EDITION supports only one user on linux

ArthurDent
New Contributor I

Hi

We are using Quartus Prime Lite 20.1 .1 which includes Model Technology ModelSim - INTEL FPGA STARTER EDITION vsim 2020.1 .
The tools are installed on a linux (CentOS 7) server which is the main development platform.

The problem is that ModelSim INTEL FPGA STARTER EDITION only supports one user:
- The first user that starts ModelSim can run simulations without any issues
- Other users can run simulation for 5 minutes before ModelSim terminates with "Fatal: vsimk is exiting with code 4". Exit code 4 seems to be a license issue code.

Sine this is a non-licensed (light)version of ModelSim it seems odd that there is a limit on users.
Is this ModelSim version supposed to behave like this?
Is there a way to avoid this? 

BR
AD

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

You can use ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition alone to perform simultaneous simulation with different users as you intended.

If you install on two different machines I don't think you'd be able to perform simultaneous simulation with different users. It doesn't hurt to try though.

Do you have any further questions?

Regards,

Nurina

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Can you give me the following information:

1. Do you have other ModelSim instances installed in the server?
  2. ModelSim Starter Edition has a line limit of 10k lines, are your designs possibly exceeding that amount?
  3. Are you able to launch ModelSim successfully at all times?
  4. Does this happen no matter who the first user is?

Best regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
ArthurDent
New Contributor I

Hi Nurina

1. We have also "ModelSim ALTERA STARTER EDITION vsim 10.5b " installed, but it is not used.
  2. The design simulates fine when no other users use vsim so it doesn't seem to be a line number issue.
  3. The first users have no problems launching and running simulation.
  4. Yes, it is not connected to a specific user.

If the first user only starts the ModelSim GUI and are not running a simulation, then the second user can use ModelsIm without any issues. If the first user has an active simulation, then the second user is kicked out after 5 min with "** Fatal: vsimk is exiting with code 4."

BR
AD

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

OK, unfortunately there is no workaround on the starter edition of ModelSim for this problem. You'd have to use the licensed version.

The ModelSim Intel FPGA Edition for Quartus Standard 20.1 should be compatible for you: https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/20.1/?edition=standard&platform=linux&product=modelsim_ae#tabs-2

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

We did not receive any response to the previous reply that I have provided, thus I will put this case to close pending. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.

Regards,
Nurina

PS: If you find any comment from the community or Intel Support to be helpful, feel free to give Kudos.

0 Kudos
ArthurDent
New Contributor I

Hi Nurina, 
thank you for your reply.  The " ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition Software License" cost 2000 USD, and it might not be possible to run "ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition" and "ModelSim - INTEL FPGA STARTER EDITION" simultaneous.
Another possibility is to install "ModelSim - INTEL FPGA STARTER EDITION" on two different machines.
BR
AD

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

You can use ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition alone to perform simultaneous simulation with different users as you intended.

If you install on two different machines I don't think you'd be able to perform simultaneous simulation with different users. It doesn't hurt to try though.

Do you have any further questions?

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Regards,
Nurina

PS: If you find any comment from the community or Intel Support to be helpful, feel free to give Kudos.

0 Kudos