Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Modified default value of generic parameter does not trigger correct make on Q17 ?

Hello, 

The following module intializes the parameter of ent_bug 'v' with value 1 and the second one instantiates the first module and sends the output to a 7SEG display of a DE0: 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; entity ent_bug is generic(v : integer := 1); port(result : out std_logic_vector(3 downto 0)); end ent_bug; architecture arch_bug of ent_bug is begin result <= std_logic_vector(to_unsigned(v,4)); end;  

and 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; entity ent_main is port( CLOCK_50 : in std_logic; HEX5 : out std_logic_vector(6 downto 0) ); end ent_main; architecture arch_main of ent_main is signal bugVal : std_logic_vector(3 downto 0); begin ENTB: entity work.ent_bug(arch_bug) port map(result=>bugVal); SEG5: entity work.ent_led7seg(arch_led7seg) port map(data=>bugVal,leds=>HEX5); end arch_main;  

The code above results in '1' on the7seg of my DE0 correctly. 

However if i Change and save: 

generic(v : integer := 5);  

=> I keep getting '1' on my DE0 7 Seg display.  

And if I delete the Db and Incremental_db directory of my project and recompile,  

I get '5' on the display (= correct) ?? 

I have the impression that quartus 17.0 is not recompiling/linking my modified file and sticks to the result of the previous compile of the file. 

Is there someting I did oversee (settings ?) or is this something Quartus is not supposed to do ? 

(both files are included in the project in the order presented above, the result was reproduced in multiple instances) 

Best Regards, 

Johi.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

The value of generic is meant to be passed when you instantiate the design: 

ENTB: entity work.ent_bug(arch_bug)  

generc map( ...) 

port map(result=>bugVal 

);
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

The value of generic is meant to be passed when you instantiate the design: 

ENTB: entity work.ent_bug(arch_bug)  

generc map( ...) 

port map(result=>bugVal 

); 

--- Quote End ---  

yes and no. If a generic isnt assigned, it is supposed to take the default. 

I suspect this is a quartus bug not checking for changes in defaults when it recompiles code. I seem to remember someone else posting this same problem. 

I would raise a ticket with altera over this.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I think adding generic map is just quick, easy and avoids trouble of raising SR then waiting years for a fix.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I have seen the same erroneous behavior more than 10 years ago with Quartus 6 or 7, believed it was fixed since long. I started to delete respective comments in sources. 

Apparently too early...
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Dear all, 

Thank you very much for the reactions. 

Issue has been raised with SR 13117580. 

If there is news of value for the Forum I will post it on this thread. 

Best Regards, 

Johi.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Dear All, 

As expected Altera does not take service requests from users not associated with a university or company. 

So, if anybody can raise this issue as a request it might be in the interest of all. 

Best Regards, 

Johi.