Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16559 Discussions

Out of memory: Quartus_sta is using 230GByte memory.

Fan_T_Intel
Employee

Hi,

My Quartus prime standard edition v17.1.0 reports error during STA, however mapper and fitter and assembler finished successfully.

following is the error:

<internal_error>

<executable>quartus_sta</executable>

<sub_system>MEM</sub_system>

<error>*** Fatal Error: Out of memory in module quartus_sta (231339 megabytes used)</error>

<date>Wed Aug 15 15:01:45 2018</date>

<version>Version 17.1.0 Build 590 10/25/2017 SJ Standard Edition</version>

</internal_error>

Any clue what might be causing that?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Hope this may help you ,

You may see this error when compiling large designs targeting high density devices using the Quartus® II 32-bit software.

Compiling high density designs may consume greater than the 2 to 3 GB of memory resources available per process on 32-bit operating systems. 

To resolve this issue, use the Quartus II 64-bit software with a 64-bit operating system.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd10202009_168.html

For recommenced RAM size based on device family refer below link.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/rn/rn_qts_dev_support.pdf

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Anand Raj Shankar

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)

0 Kudos
Fan_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Anand,

I have --64bit option, so it's not due to that.

this issue only happens yesterday, btw I have been  using this version for 1 year.

if it is due to RTL change or constraint, it should report in fitter or mapper not sta phase.

anything I can check?​

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Try deleting db and work folder and check once. 

Can you attach the project ?

Which will help me to recreate the scenario.

Best Regards,

Anand Raj Shankar

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)

0 Kudos