Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

PLL input clock inclk[0] is not f ully compensated because it is fed by a remote clock pin

Diego2
Novice

Hello

I have a design for a Cyclone 10 LP FPGA with a PLL that is fed from a clock-dedicated pin. The PLL was generated in "Normal Mode", however I'm getting this Critical Warning

Critical Warning (176598): PLL "..." input clock inclk[0] is not fully compensated because it is fed by a remote clock pin "Pin_M1" File: ...

I'm not 100% familiar with the clock architectures of Intel devices. Can someone explain me what this means? Am I not suppose to use this mode when using an external pin as a clock input?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Diego,

Please refer Figure 38 of Intel® Cyclone® 10 LP Core Fabric and General Purpose I/Os Handbook (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-10/c10lp-51003.pdf)

Each PLL has dedicated input pins, indicated by a solid line and dotted line. The solid line are the dedicated pins for that particular PLL. For example, PLL_1 has CLK[3:0]. However, PLL_1 can also be driven by other dedicated pins CLK[15:12}, but they are not associated ones for PLL_1.

Refer statement in section 4.2.4 "Input and output delays are fully compensated by the PLL only if you are using the

dedicated clock input pins associated with a given PLL as the clock sources."

To avoid the warning, use associated dedicated pins for the PLL.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Diego,

Please refer Figure 38 of Intel® Cyclone® 10 LP Core Fabric and General Purpose I/Os Handbook (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-10/c10lp-51003.pdf)

Each PLL has dedicated input pins, indicated by a solid line and dotted line. The solid line are the dedicated pins for that particular PLL. For example, PLL_1 has CLK[3:0]. However, PLL_1 can also be driven by other dedicated pins CLK[15:12}, but they are not associated ones for PLL_1.

Refer statement in section 4.2.4 "Input and output delays are fully compensated by the PLL only if you are using the

dedicated clock input pins associated with a given PLL as the clock sources."

To avoid the warning, use associated dedicated pins for the PLL.

Regards

Diego2
Novice

Thanks for the response! That was what I was looking for.

0 Kudos