Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Post-Fit Netlist Partition keeps using source file

VCham
New Contributor I

Hello,

I am using partitions for the first time and Quartus keeps using the source file even though I have post-fit selected for the netlist and I haven't changed anything in the design between compiles. 

I am using Quartus Standard edition 17.0.2 and a Cyclone V

I have a top level design with several submodules and I have broken three of those submodules into a separate partition. Please let me know what I could be missing.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Can you show your settings and where you are seeing that source is being used instead of the post-fit netlist?

0 Kudos
VCham
New Contributor I

Since my last post I used the auto partitioner to get a different distribution of partitions and for some reason Quartus is now using the correct netlists. Before, Netlist Type Requested would be Post-Fit and Netlist Type Used would be Source File.

VCham_0-1654008674848.png

For my own understanding, what could be the reason behind this? Previously my two largest and most critical blocks were each their own partition outside of top. Now there are 4 partitions out of top (including the two from before) and the two original partitions have 3 partitions broken out each.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Should be caused by below. From the Intel® Quartus® Prime Standard Edition Handbook Volume 1 Design and Synthesis:

Preserves post-fit results for the partition and reuses the post-fit netlist when the following conditions are true:

• A post-fit netlist is available from a previous fitting.
  • No change that initiates an automatic resynthesis has been made to the partition since the previous fitting.

When a post-fit netlist is not available, the software reuses the post-synthesis netlist if it is available, or otherwise compiles from the source files. Compiles the partition from the source files if resynthesis is initiated.

The Fitter Preservation Level specifies what level of information is preserved from the post-fit netlist. 

Assignment changes, such as Fitter optimization settings, do not cause a partition set to Post-Fit to recompile. 

For your reference: https://faculty-web.msoe.edu/johnsontimoj/Common/FILES/qts-qps-5v1_design-synthesis_17.1.pdf#page=108

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
VCham
New Contributor I

Thanks Nurina.

It still doesn't explain why it wasn't working before since there were not changes anywhere across the project.  Perhaps there was an issue with the post-fit netlists not actually getting generated that isn't present with the new partition layout

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Yes, I believe that may be the case. I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Regards,

Nurina

P/S: If you like my comment, feel free to give Kudos. If my comment solved your problem, feel free to accept my comment as solution.

0 Kudos