Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Problem converting to integer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a code 

LIBRARY ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; use ieee.std_logic_arith.all; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL; entity REG_FILE is port ( REG_ADDR_IN : in std_logic_vector(15 downto 0); -- some code ); end REG_FILE; architecture behavior of REG_FILE is --some code signal mailbox_idx : integer := 0; process(REG_CLK) begin -- some code mailbox_idx <= to_integer(to_unsigned(REG_ADDR_IN)); end process; end behavior;  

And result 

mailbox_idx <= to_integer(REG_ADDR_IN); Error (10405): VHDL error at reg_file.vhd(75): can't determine type of object at or near identifier "to_integer" -- found 0 possible types or this way mailbox_idx <= to_integer(to_unsigned(REG_ADDR_IN)); Error (10476): VHDL error at reg_file.vhd(75): type of identifier "REG_ADDR_IN" does not agree with its usage as "natural" type Error (10346): VHDL error at reg_file.vhd(75): formal port or parameter "SIZE" must have actual or default value  

Where is a problem?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

try conv_integer(unsigned(REG_ADDR_IN)) 

Jens
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Read function description: 

function TO_UNSIGNED ( ARG,SIZE: NATURAL) return UNSIGNED; 

-- Result subtype: UNSIGNED (SIZE-1 downto 0) 

-- Result: Converts a non-negative INTEGER to an UNSIGNED vector with 

-- the specified SIZE. 

As you can see you did not specify "SIZE" parameter and your REG_ADDR_IN has to be integer type also.  

I recomend googling about libraries and packages usage in VHDL. I usualy use just two libraries:  

use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; 

use ieee.numeric_std.all; 

and if you need some type conversion use: 

https://www.doulos.com/knowhow/vhdl_designers_guide/numeric_std/ (https://www.doulos.com/knowhow/vhdl_designers_guide/numeric_std/)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. The problem was use ieee.std_logic_arith.all; Thank you.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes. The problem was use ieee.std_logic_arith.all; Thank you. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes - std_logic_arith and numeric_std have the same functions and types declared, so they clash, and neither of them are visible. std_logic_arith is not a standard VHDL package (neither is std_logic_unsigned), while numeric_std is. 

I recommend deleting std_logic_arith.
0 Kudos