Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Problem with nios2 ide under windows 7

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have a problem when I build my project on Nios2 IDE (9.0 sp2) under windows 7 

I have this message : 

make -s all includes  

3 [main] ? (5160) c:\altera\90sp2\quartus\bin\cygwin\bin\make.exe: *** fatal error - couldn't allocate heap, win32 error 487, base 0x7a0000, top 0x8f0000, reserve_size 1372160, allocsize 1376256, page_const 4096 

2 [main] make 4500 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0x100, errno 11 

make[1]: vfork: resource temporarily unavailable 

make: *** [system_project] error 2 

I don't have mcafee ativirus software 

Have you a solution ? 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have any memory problems on your PC? It seems that the make application has trouble allocating memory.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Do you have any memory problems on your PC? It seems that the make application has trouble allocating memory. 

--- Quote End ---  

It's not a problem with the PC's memory. 

Those errors come from old cygwin package which is used in NIOS II IDE and which is not compatible with Windows 7. I saw those errors sometimes and typically I just had to start the build again and everything went fine. 

One thing that might help is to run NIOS II IDE with "Run as Administrator" option. Right-click NIOS II IDE icon and select "Run as Administrator" command. 

And you could also try running NIOS II IDE with Compatibility mode set to Windows Vista or XP (right-click NIOS II IDE icon, select Properties and view Compatibility page for options). 

You might also want to upgrade to NIOS 9.1 version (although even that version is not compatible with Windows 7). 

Jari
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No I think I don't have any memory problems. It's a new laptop (with a lot of RAM). 

It's work fine on my other PC.  

I tried to stop "windows defender" but the problem is still here !!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As Jari states, it "might" be an issue with Windows 7, but....it sure looks an awful lot like the infamous "bloda (http://lists-archives.org/cygwin/33968-1-5-25-0-156-4-2-fatal-error-couldn-t-allocate-heap-win32-error-487.html)" issue. 

Cheers, 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have solve the build problem with the Compatibility mode set to "Windows Vista". But when I want to debug on the hardware, sometime nios 2 ide "crash"... :(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there durandy, 

When you say: "Compatibility mode set to vista" What exactly do you mean, as I have the exact same problem on my vista box, yet when I run under xp, everything is fine... 

Though I am just trying a build all under "Run as administrator", and the same error persists, and the option of compatibility for vista isn't available. 

So, what was your solution in the end? 

Cheers, 

MRb
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am facing the same prob though I am running Window XP which is officially supported by Nios II EDS. Please could you share with me the workaround? 

Thanks. 

Caridee
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having exactly the same problem. Searching the web, many others are having this problem. There is something wrong with Cygwin under Windows 7, and it needs fixing. I have done these things to no avail: 

1. Made a DW in /HKLM/Software/Cygnus Solutions/Cygwin/heap_chunk_in_mb 1024 (and 2048) 

2. Totally eliminated Logitech quickcam including the services process Monitor or Injector Service from my PC. 

3. Formatted my hard drive, re-installed Win 7, installed just Office 2007, followed by Quartus and Nios IDE.  

4. Tried both Nios IDE 7.2 Sp2 and Nios IDE 11.0 SP1. (I'm trying to maintain a legacy project that has been out there for some years).  

5. Tried to run the IDE in XP, Vista compatability modes.  

6. Tried to run the IDE as an administrator. 

I have no virus checker (eg McAfee or Bit defender - they were got rid of in the reformat). I do not have Sonic, Zonealarm, Kerio or Agnitum.  

I do have ATI catalyst drivers running (necessary for this HP i7 machine).  

I would really appreciate some help, as at the moment I can do no further program maintenance, and Nios is effectively garbage.  

Thanks.
0 Kudos