Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16611 Discussions

Problem with updating memory initialization file in Quartus for the Application.hex bootloader

aya1
Beginner

Hi!

I am trying to implement remote system update using cyclone iv fpga.

After the power cycle the factory image is configured and then the nios boots correctly. When I configure the application image without the application hex file, the sof is configured properly. I checked it by using PIO in Qsys and assigning different values to the fpga pins. In the factory configuration the fpga pin has 3 volts and in the application image it has 0 volts. I was also able to download elf file on the application image from eclipse.

There is however one big problem , the nios in applicaiton image does n't boot when the application hex file is loaded. The problem is likely due to the fact the epcs bootloader which I am using starts from address 0 in the EPCS and is not able to find the proper hex file for the application image and the factory image is loaded again after the reconfiguration code is executed.

I replaced the epcs_boot_rom.hex inside my project with the .hex file having the same name which I created from a custom bootloader. 

The problem is that the replacement does n't work and the default bootloader is loaded again. When I try to update the memory initialization file I get the following error:

"(error) Found no memory initialization files to proces"

The file is located where they should be so why can't Quartus find it?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Hi, Ayaz

You may refer to below workaround:

https://community.intel.com/t5/FPGA-Wiki/EPCS-bootloaders/ta-p/735918

Eric

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Hi, Ayaz

Can I close this if you have no more inquiry ?

Thanks.

Eric

0 Kudos