Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15339 Discussions

Problems trying to configure three FPGAS using the EPC16

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The aim of this thread is to request help from you guys because I have a problem trying to make a .pof file which is driving me crazy. 

I am working on a card which has three FPGA (each one running different configuration files), I produced the .sof files and I successfully tested programing the FPGA using a jtag cable. 

Now I would like to create a .pof file (for keeping the new FPGA personality in the non-volatile flash, in this case an EPC16), here is where my problem starts... 

Using the "convert programming files" tool I produced a .pof file from the three .sof files (one for each FPGA) but for a reason which I cannot understand the FPGAs are not programed (done line does not go high) when I power cycle the card. 

Do you have a clue, suggestion or hint which allows me to get rid of this problem and finally produce a working pof for the EPC16? 

Your help will be more than welcome! 

some extra data: 

The three FPGA should be programmed using the 1-bit passive serial mode 

I am using Quartuss II, Version 11.0 

attached you will find some screen captures that shows how I am using the "convert programming file" tool.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Using the "convert programming files" tool I produced a .pof file from the three .sof files (one for each FPGA) but for a reason which I cannot understand the FPGAs are not programed (done line does not go high) when I power cycle the card. 

--- Quote End ---  

For multi-device configuration chain, add the SOFs according to the order of the devices in the chain. 

Check the status of MSEL pin & other configuration signals. 

Check jumper settings on a card. 

Refer the following document for the “Conversion of SRAM Object File to Programmer Object File for Parallel Flash Devices” 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an478.pdf  

Best Regards 

Vikas Jathar  

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)