Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Problems with ModelSim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have started having problems simulating with ModelSim. 

My quartus II project compiles successfully but either ModelSim opens and I get the following message, and another error if I try to compile my testbench: 

# Reading C:/altera/10.0/modelsim_ase/tcl/vsim/pref.tcl # do FIFO_With_LVDS_PARRALLEL_run_msim_rtl_vhdl.do # if {} {# vdel -lib rtl_work -all# }# ** Warning: (vdel-133) Unable to remove directory "U:\FTDI-Morph-IC-II_trial_With_DEMUX\simulation\modelsim\rtl_work".# The directory is not empty.# # . (GetLastError() = 145)# vlib rtl_work# ** Error: (vlib-35) Failed to create directory "rtl_work".# File exists. (errno = EEXIST)# vmap work rtl_work# Copying C:\altera\10.0\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/../modelsim.ini to modelsim.ini# Modifying modelsim.ini# ** Warning: Copied C:\altera\10.0\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/../modelsim.ini to modelsim.ini.# Updated modelsim.ini.# # vcom -93 -work work {U:/FTDI-Morph-IC-II_trial_With_DEMUX/Morph_USB_LOOPBACK.vhd}# Model Technology ModelSim ALTERA vcom 6.5e Compiler 2010.02 Feb 27 2010# -- Loading package standard# -- Loading package std_logic_1164# -- Compiling entity morph_usb_loopback# ** Fatal: Unexpected signal: 11.# ** Error: U:/FTDI-Morph-IC-II_trial_With_DEMUX/Morph_USB_LOOPBACK.vhd(58): VHDL Compiler exiting# ** Error: C:/altera/10.0/modelsim_ase/win32aloem/vcom failed.# Error in macro ./FIFO_With_LVDS_PARRALLEL_run_msim_rtl_vhdl.do line 8# C:/altera/10.0/modelsim_ase/win32aloem/vcom failed.# while executing# "vcom -93 -work work {U:/FTDI-Morph-IC-II_trial_With_DEMUX/Morph_USB_LOOPBACK.vhd}"  

Or I get an error which is something like  

posix einval {invalid argument} 

Even when I go back to previous designs that I have simulated before modelSim still isn't opening properly.... any ideas? 

Cheers, 

Lee H
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

1st proposition :  

try to manually delete rtl_work directory. 

and run your macro again. 

2nd proposition : 

Have you tried to "manually" compile your vhdl files ? 

I mean without macro. 

File>Add exisisting file to project... 

Menu compile>compile order>auto generate 

FIFO_With_LVDS_PARRALLEL_run_msim_rtl_vhdl.do is just a text file written in "limited" tcl language. You can open it with a text editor.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

1st proposition :  

try to manually delete rtl_work directory. 

and run your macro again. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Tsuchi, I have already manually tried to delete the rtl_work directory and I always get the error message "cannot remove folder rtl_work: the directory is not empty." I can't remember attempting to manually delete this directory before, but as it contains 0 files and 3 folders and each of these folders are empty I can't understand why I can't delete them, even if I turn read only off... the next time I look at properties it says read only again!? I don't know whether this is from Quartus or ModelSim or whether I have a bug somewhere... 

--- Quote Start ---  

2nd proposition : 

Have you tried to "manually" compile your vhdl files ? 

I mean without macro. 

File>Add exisisting file to project... 

Menu compile>compile order>auto generate 

FIFO_With_LVDS_PARRALLEL_run_msim_rtl_vhdl.do is just a text file written in "limited" tcl language. You can open it with a text editor. 

--- Quote End ---  

As for trying to manually compile the VHDL files, I havn't looked into this yet but will give it a go. 

Cheers, 

Lee H
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Tsuchi, I have already manually tried to delete the rtl_work directory and I always get the error message "cannot remove folder rtl_work: the directory is not empty." I can't remember attempting to manually delete this directory before, but as it contains 0 files and 3 folders and each of these folders are empty I can't understand why I can't delete them, even if I turn read only off... the next time I look at properties it says read only again!? I don't know whether this is from Quartus or ModelSim or whether I have a bug somewhere... 

--- Quote End ---  

Maybe, there are hidden (and system) files.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Maybe, there are hidden (and system) files. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hmmm I have hidden files turned on anyway... and there don't appear to be any system or hidden files in those folders. They are just behaving a bit odd. 

I have played around with a few things and have noticed that my "rtl_work" library that among the files that should be there but aren't my rtl_work library has disappeared, which is causing problems when trying to manually compile the program. 

I know we had a virus on the network yesterday at work, but I have done a complete scan and my machine seems clear, but wonder whether this stuff was done before the antivirus update? 

Basically my biggest thing now is how to I go about generating a new rtl_work library etc. when I am getting an error saying nativelink flow was NOT successful etc???? 

any ideas how to reproduce the missing files?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just wanted to say thanks for your thoughts... 

Turned out it was something to do with the virus in the end, I was getting lockout of certain files and couldn't access them. After IT reset the server then everything went back to normal and simulates again now... 

Cheers, 

Lee H
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I suggest you to work with your local hard drive, 

and only use the server to backup projects. 

I suggest to scan computers with other virus scanner (just a scanner, not a realtime scanner). Look at specialized website Malekal for example 

--- Quote Start ---  

everything went back to normal and simulates again now... 

--- Quote End ---  

Very good day :-) 

Best Regards.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I suggest you to work with your local hard drive, 

and only use the server to backup projects. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yea, I know this now! Invaluable advice... Unfortunately I was still stuck in a student mindset where you save everything to your user area, as you could never guaruntee that you would be able to get to the same PC if you saved things locally. 

I'm still adjusting to the real workplace but getting there slowly. Cheers for all your help and advice... It's much appreciated.
0 Kudos