Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16559 Discussions

Programing .jic file into ISSI IS128LP128 flash memory and connection between Flash memory and FPGA.

AGofs
Novice

I'm using Quartus-II Rev. 18.1 in order to program .jic file  into ISSI IS128LP128 flash memory at active serial mode, but without success.

1). How should I connect IS128LP128 (8-pins) to Cyclone-V-GX?

Do you have an example ?

Where should be connected pin ASDO of the FPGA-to SI of the flash?

2). ISSI flash components are absent from "Configuration Device" Tab.

What option should I choose instead?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi AGofs,

You may refer to this solution here:

https://forums.intel.com/s/feed/0D50P00004ImOLLSA3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CBATT (Customer)

a month ago

Hi,

I believe that this problem may be solved. If not, here on how we manage to get this memory to work with Quartus 19.1 for write, erase and FPGA initialization.

1. Open Programmer
  2. Go to File > Convert Programming File
  3. Programming file type, select .jic
  4. Open configuration device using "..."
  5. Select your device family
  6. Create a <<new device>>
  7. Configure according to your memory datasheet
    1. e.g., name: IS25LP128, ID: 17, Density: 128Mb, Single dummy: 8, Quad dummy: 6
  8. Select Micron as Flow template
  9. Change Addressing mode(byte) from each flow tab from 4 to 3
  10. In initialization tab:
    1. Remove everything except Read ID (Command 0x9F), Write Enable (Command 0x06) and Write status register (Command 0x01), keep this flow order
    2. Note that you need a Write Enable before sending other commands, check your memory datasheet for more info
  11. In erase tab:
    1. Change Read flag status register to Read status register
    2. Change Command to 0x05 (ISSI memory uses the READ STATUS REGISTER OPERATION for erase status)
    3. Change Expected data to 0x00
    4. Change Expected data mask to 0x01

I hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
AGofs
Novice
Hi WolfGang, Unfortunately, I don't have any option to select device family from "Configuration Device" tab. I'm working with Quartus Prime 18.1 Lite Edition. The answer you attached is for Quartus 19.1. So, Is it possible to program .jic file into IS25LP128 flash memory with Quartus prime 18.1 Lite Edition? Another question is : How should I connect IS25LP128 to FPGA CycloneV component?
0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi AGofs,

This feature only available starting 18.1.1 Standard version or 19.1 pro version.

I dont think it is possible using 18.1 lite edition.

i'm apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AGofs
Novice
Hi WolfGang, Thank you for answer. I've downloaded Quartus Prime Programmer Pro Edition 19.1.0 and started to configure New Device, as you have explained. During configuration I saw the row named "Total Device die". What should I write in this row? I've attached the printscreen to this message. You wrote at point 9 :"Change Addressing mode(Byte)….). Where is it?
0 Kudos
AGofs
Novice
Hi WolfGang, I have another question in addition to previous questions. At 10.(Initialization Tab) You wrote: "Remove everything except…..". As I understand you , only 3 commands must remain: Read ID=>Write enable=>Write Status Register. Every another command from Initialization Tab must be removed . Am I right?
0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi AGofs,

During configuration I saw the row named "Total Device die".

What should I write in this row?

IS25LP128 do not have stack die. then you should write it as 1.

if MT25QU01G device, it have 2 stacked die. Thus, MT25QU01G should write as 2.

Micron MT25QU1G.JPG

You wrote at point 9 :"Change Addressing mode(Byte)….).

Where is it?

Every tab (Program, Erase, Verify... tab) you need to change address byte from 4 to 3.

GSFI JIC tab.JPGGSFI JIC tab3.JPGGSFI JIC tab2.JPG

As I understand you , only 3 commands must remain: Read ID=>Write enable=>Write Status Register.

Every another command from Initialization Tab must be removed .

Am I right?

Yes, you're right

GSFI JIC tab4.JPG

I'm apologize for delay reply. I'm on Christmas & New Year holiday.

Cheers

0 Kudos
AGofs
Novice

Thank you very much WolfGang.

I've produced .jic successfully.

You can close the case.

Happy New Year!

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

You're most welcome.