Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Programming JIC files using qaurtus_pgm

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Could somebody please explaing to me how to program JIC files the the quartus_pgm command line utility? 

I can successfully program a JIC file using the Quartus II Programmer. If I use the same CDF togeter with the quartus_pgm utility the serial flash is only erased and not programmed. 

Thanks, 

Richard.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It seems to be working for me. I've shown the text from the console below: 

As a side note, You may want to consider using a NIOS processor and the nios2-flash-programmer.exe utility instead. It's much much much faster than using the JIC method. We use that method for programming our boards in manufacturing. 

C:\Projects\trio\fpga\trio_top\altera>quartus_pgm trio_top_jic.cdf Info: ******************************************************************* Info: Running Quartus II Programmer Info: Version 8.0 Build 215 05/29/2008 SJ Full Version Info: Copyright (C) 1991-2008 Altera Corporation. All rights reserved. Info: Your use of Altera Corporation's design tools, logic functions Info: and other software and tools, and its AMPP partner logic Info: functions, and any output files from any of the foregoing Info: (including device programming or simulation files), and any Info: associated documentation or information are expressly subject Info: to the terms and conditions of the Altera Program License Info: Subscription Agreement, Altera MegaCore Function License Info: Agreement, or other applicable license agreement, including, Info: without limitation, that your use is for the sole purpose of Info: programming logic devices manufactured by Altera and sold by Info: Altera or its authorized distributors. Please refer to the Info: applicable agreement for further details. Info: Processing started: Tue Jun 17 14:36:04 2008 Info: Command: quartus_pgm trio_top_jic.cdf Info: Using programming cable "USB-Blaster " Info: Started Programmer operation at Tue Jun 17 14:36:09 2008 Info: Configuring device index 1 Info: Device 1 contains JTAG ID code 0x020E40DD Info: Configuration succeeded -- 1 device(s) configured Info: Device 1 silicon ID is 0x16 Info: Erasing ASP configuration device(s) Info: Programming device(s) Info: Successfully performed operation(s) Info: Ended Programmer operation at Tue Jun 17 14:40:34 2008 Info: Quartus II Programmer was successful. 0 errors, 0 warnings Info: Peak virtual memory: 321 megabytes Info: Processing ended: Tue Jun 17 14:40:34 2008 Info: Elapsed time: 00:04:30 Info: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:14
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

Could somebody please explaing to me how to program JIC files the the quartus_pgm command line utility? 

I can successfully program a JIC file using the Quartus II Programmer. If I use the same CDF togeter with the quartus_pgm utility the serial flash is only erased and not programmed. 

Thanks, 

Richard. 

--- Quote End ---  

:p  

I guess the reason of the discrepancy between the GUI programmer and the exe programmer could be due to the faulty generation of the cdf file. If you are using the jic file together with the Factory Default SFL Image, and then saved it as the cdf file, then this type of cdf file will not working well because the factory SFL image is not saved yet. Therefore, please follow the instructions below to understand the way to generate a good cdf file. 

1. Open QII Programmer, delete all the file in the list.  

2. Add file, browse to <QII installation folder>\quartus\common\devinfo\programmer.  

3. Choose the relevant SFL image of the device you are using, then add it into the programmer list. 

4. Right click on the SFL image.sof file, to attach ACS flash, choose the desired EPCS. Attach the relevant generated jic file onto the EPCS. Ok to continue. 

5. Save the programmer list as a new CDF file. Then this is a good cdf file to be used in exe.  

Hope this method could help out:)  

ktquah:rolleyes:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes that solves the problem, thanks!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes that solves the problem, thanks! 

--- Quote End ---  

Great! :)  

Regards, 

ktquah:rolleyes:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi ktqhah, 

Ten years after your answer I know it will be difficult to have a new one, but I think to have the same issue on EPCQ programming in command line with quartus 17.1.2/304. 

So please could you help me to generate a good cdf file?  

I tried to do what you said till point 3, but I didn't find the relevant SFL image.sof for EPCQ_1024 into the quartus\common\devinfo\programmer. 

So please, what do you think about it? 

Thank you and best regards 

Pierrick
0 Kudos