Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Pulse Signal using VHDL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi. I am beginner of vhdl. Recently, my lecturer gave me new assignment. I want to generate pulse signal with frequency 40kHz using vhdl code. But, i dont know where i should start. I have refer to certain book. But, i am little bit confuse. Could everybody help me to give ideas how can i start :cry:

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What are you confused with? what code have you written so far?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you a VERY beginner in VHDL ? 

I think your lecturer want you to produce synthesizable VHDL code ? 

I suppose you already have (your lecturer gave you) an entity declaration and you have a clock (50 MHz, ...) 

If you know how will you make that with a few simple logical components, you just have to describe it in VHdL. 

Sorry to not help you more ;-) 

As Tricky said, post here your piece of VHDL code. If it is just a problem of USE IEEE declaration, or (subtle ;-)) VHDL syntax, sure we help you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@Tricky: thanks for your suggestion. 

@mmTsuchi: Yes. I am very beginner in VHDL. No. My lecturer did not gave me me anything.  

Could you suggest to me a book that I can refer since i am beginner in VHDL :(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Doulos.com gives good examples 

For you, http://atlas.physics.arizona.edu/~kjohns/downloads/vhdl/599_2008_94_2797.pdf is quite good (easy to read, examples, simlpe, synthetizable, with good practice). 

You seem good to C programming (Nios, software...) 

KEEP in mind that VHDL is a description language, NOT a program language (This is a common error for beginners) 

Do you have an idea of how would you make your pulse generator with very few components ? (very short schema) 

Regards
0 Kudos