Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

Qsys now Platform designer, no error , error at same time, on wrong Avalon parameter.

RRomano001
New Contributor I

My IP core design, core was not working and error was hidden,

production fabric report component as ok, found debugging memory address was wrong.

Added missing byteenable was on conduit by error.

Moving Byteenable to avalon interface generated this uncought, waveform report error and same time module say there where no error.

Avalon bus doesn't show waveform, build without error.

Screenshot from 2019-04-11 10:13:51.png

offending parameter, byteenable was added late

Screenshot from 2019-05-02 13:04:50.png

byteenable added later then set to 8 bit

Screenshot from 2019-04-11 10:12:52.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

May I know which version and edition of the software you are using? Could you provide a test case and steps to reproduce the error?

Thanks

0 Kudos
RRomano001
New Contributor I

Versionless, both 18.1 and 15.0 where same, I recently removed 16.1 and 17.1.

Avalon bus, wrong Symbol size with byteenable size 2 generate wrong Core.

Error is partially captured on waveform but doesn't block code generation.

Generating an IP assign all signal but byteenable (reread first post)

moving byteenable from wrong interface produced this error.

If you are not able to reproduce I can build two snippet, this is stable regardless of OS or version.

0 Kudos
RRomano001
New Contributor I

Step to generate wrong model:

Add Avalon Slave signals ( here was QSYS default, my code was written on Quartus editor then assigned.)

Add byteenable after generating Conduit, then move to conduit ( this generated my mess with Qsys, probably selected by mistake then moved to conduit).

Step1.png

changed symbol width. wrong without byteselect, so it map twice to bus elements still 16 bit wide. Step2.png

Address range look as it is ok

step3.png

Build say nothing

step4.png

Byteselect is still assigned to bus adapter. (found assigned as "11" (VHDL) or 2b'11 Verilog

step5.png

VHDL generated look ok (My core was ok so took some time to point out)

step6.png

Memory got duplicated from odd and even addresses, clearly no selection about byte was present and byte writing was destructive.

0 Kudos
RRomano001
New Contributor I

Solve unaddressed issue:

edit IP core(Qsys component):

Select and move to avalon Byteenable

Step1.png

Now Slave interface is complete byte addressable:

Step2.png

Still no error but no wave and error or warning. Yes error is present.Step3.png

Set to Symbol to right byte size and issue is curedStep4.png

You can check on both error and correct code where reported as good. Also memory range was reported as good with misaddressed sizes.

Both odd and even word where addressing same word cell.

Here is ok than with wrong signalling was reported same size.

Step5.png

If more details just tell about.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for providing the test case. For the case where byteenable is moved to avalon_slave, the Platform Designer generates error when the byteenable is set to 2 and Bits per symbol is set to 16, which is correct. The byteenable should be 1 if the Bits per symbol is set to 16 and read/write data width is 16.

Byteenable.PNG

When the byteenable is moved to conduit_end, byteenable is set to 2 and Bits per symbol is set to 16, the software did not generate any error message. The byteenable is generated as an input to the conduit_end. No error message is generated because the data transfer proceeds as if all byteenable are asserted if the interface does not have a byteenable signal. HDL.PNG

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RRomano001
New Contributor I

I don't understand if you say me this is ok or recognize it don't reveal an hardware error.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

The software generates an error message when user enters a wrong value for byteenable under Avalon Slave, which alerts user about the wrong setting. I suppose this is the correct behavior where error message is generated for wrong setting.

0 Kudos