Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Quad SPI Flash programming with Quartus_hps.exe

BIdro
New Contributor I

Hi,

I need to program a QSPI MICRON NOR FLASH (MT25QL512ABB) connected to the pins of the FPGA QSPI controller (5CSEMA5F31I7N). The program to be saved is the boot file for HPS.

I use the tool Embedded_Command_Shell and I run the command $Quartus_hps.exe -c 1 -o PV -a 0xA0000 "file_to program".

BSEL[2:0] pins are "111" -> Flash device = 3.3 V Quad SPI flash memory

CSEL[1:0] pins are "11" -> HPS1_CLK = 25 MHz

In the platform designer project I created HPS instance and in "HPS Clocks" menu I have:

QSPI clock source: Peripheral QSPI CLOCK

QSPI clock frequency: 50 MHz

When I run the command to program and verify, the clock generated is 781 KHz and the verify always fails at different times.

I expected the QSPI clock to be 50 MHz, but not that low.

Some advice?

Thanks,

Bryan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BIdro
New Contributor I

Hi,

I solved my problem using another programmer.

At first I used Terasic Blaster USB and it did not work.

Then I tried using USB-Blaster II Altera and now I can program and verify the QSPI.

Thanks for the support.

Bryan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi Bldro,

May i know the quartus version are you using?

Thank you,

Aliff

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi Bldro,

I have 1 more question, what board/FPGA are you using?

Thank you.

Aliff

0 Kudos
BIdro
New Contributor I

Hi Aliff,

I'm using Quartus Prime Standard Edition 18.1 and the program "Embedded_Command_Shell" belongs to the version 16 of the Quartus.

I'm using the Cyclone V SE 5CSEMA5F31I7N on a custom board.

The QSPI is connected to the qspi controller of the HPS. 

The layout is good (lenght match, impedance). I tested it with oscilloscope.

The frequency of the QSPI clock generated is 781.25 KHz.

Thanks,

Bryan

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi Bryan,

Can you try command Quartus_pgm.exe instead of Quartus_hps.exe and see, what is the frequency?

Thank you.

Aliff

0 Kudos
BIdro
New Contributor I

I tried but this command only makes programming .sof, .jic, .cdf and .pof files.

I need to program the QSPI with a .bin file.

Which programming mode should I use?

Thanks,

Bryan

0 Kudos
BIdro
New Contributor I

Hi,

I solved my problem using another programmer.

At first I used Terasic Blaster USB and it did not work.

Then I tried using USB-Blaster II Altera and now I can program and verify the QSPI.

Thanks for the support.

Bryan

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi Byran,

If you happened to close this thread you might receive a survey. If you think you would rank your support experience less than 10 out of 10, please allow me to correct it before closing or if the problem can’t be corrected, please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future service experience. I'm very appreciate on your feedback. I hope we can support you next time.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi Bryan,

Greetings, as we do not receive any further clarification/updates on the matter, hence would assume challenge are overcome. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. For new queries, please feel free to open a new thread and we will be right with you. Pleasure having you here.

Thank you,

Aliff

0 Kudos