Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

Quartus 20.3 pin file

Mircea
Beginner

Hello,

I just moved a Stratix10Mx project from Quartus 19.2 to Quartus 20.3.

The Q20.3 generated pin file shows unused dedicated GX Rx pins to be "NC".

The same pins in the Q19.2 generated pin file are connected to GND, as described also in the Pin Connection Guidelines from 08/07/2020.

Attached are pin files generated with Q20.3 and Q19.2.

I changed names from .pin to .log, so I can post them here.

Look at any unused Rx pin, E.G. pin A46.

In there a bug in Q20.3?

This is critical, because I need the pin file to create the PCB schematic.

I can move it all back to Q19, but that would be a lot of rework and wasted time.

Thanks,

Mircea

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As I understand it, you have some inquiries related to the .pin file difference between Q19.2 vs Q20.3 for the unused XCVR pins. Thanks for attaching the files, I will further look into them to see if can spot any anomaly.

Meanwhile, just would like to check with you if you have had a chance to try with freshly created simple design in Q20.3 with the same device and run through compilation to see if there is any discrepancy in the generated .pin. This is to help isolating any migration related issue.

Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you.

Best regards,

Chee Pin

0 Kudos
Mircea
Beginner

Hello Chee Pin,

Thank you very much for asking.

Yes, I am very concerned.

My concern is that I can't use the Quartus 20.03 generated pin file.

As you requested, I made a simple project with only one input and one output.

The resulting pin file has the unused GXB_Rx pins as "NC", while the guidelines note has them connected to GND.

I attach the pin file and the project.

I really need an answer to this ASAP, since this prevents me from finishing the schematic.

Thanks,

Mircea

0 Kudos
Mircea
Beginner

Hello,

I really need an answer to this.

I use the pin file to create the actual schematic for the board, using the Stratix10.

Not having a correct pin file prevents me from continuing with my work.

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Mircea

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Mircea,

Sorry for the delay. I might have overlooked the email notification on the latest post. For your information, we should follow the pin connection guidelines where the unused GXB_RX should be grounded. 

As I understand it, the .pin file seems to serve as input to your schematic tool. As a workaround, to allow you to proceed, I would recommend you to perform a diff between the Q19.2 pin file vs Q20.3 pin file. Then you replace the the unused GXB_RX from "GXB_NC" to "GXB_GND*" in the Q20.3 pin file.

I will file a case to Factory highlighting this for future Quartus fix. 

Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you.

Best regards,

Chee Pin

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I believe the initial inquiry has been addressed. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos