Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15559 Discussions

Quartus : Master clock could not be derived

qrive1
Beginner

I am working on Stratix 10 and Quartus 18.1 pro.

Im using a PLL created with the IP 'IOPLL' in order to create a 40MHz clock from a 320MHz clock input from Si5341 ("pll_40").

Normally, I don't have to define both clocks since they are respectively 'iopll_refclk' and 'iopll_outclk' and so are defined in the ip.

I have another pll, almost the same, which is creating its own clocks constraints without problem ("pll_gen").

So where is the difference and why do I have these error messages :

Warning(332087): The master clock for this clock assignment could not be derived. Clock: ip|iopll_0_n_cnt_clk was not created.

Warning(332035): No clocks found on or feeding the specified source node: ip|iopll_0|stratix10_altera_iopll_i|s10_iopll.fourteennm_pll|refclk[0]

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Can you please attach the design in the forum ? It will helpful to look at more in details

Thank you ,

Regards,

Sree

qrive1
Beginner
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Thank you for sharing the files ,

Reason I requested for the file that I assumed you already done the constraint manually and getting the this warning. Hence I am curious to know what is going on :) ..

Anyway I noticed you didnt add constraint ,Can you create .sdc file (Add to the project) and add below commands to it . Once I added , those warning went off

derive_pll_clocks -create_base_clocks

derive_clock_uncertainty

create_clock -period 10.000 -name refclk1 -waveform {0 5} [get_ports {clk_ffly0_ref}] 

Also Noticed your top module of VHDL is incomplete . (i.e) VHDL based RTL must add the component port and port mapping of those component .

Attached modified top module file for reference.

Thank you,

Regards,

Sree

qrive1
Beginner

I think "derive_pll_clocks" command is obsolete (with quartus 18.1 pro and stratix 10)

But sorry I wasn't clear : It's just about understanding why, not about solving a concrete case.

My question is exactly on why do I have to define the clk_ffly0_ref for the pll_40 and I don't have to do it for the refclk_100 in the pll_gen. It doesn't seem logic to me.

Since all my clocks are part of a PLL, it should not be necessary to declare any clock (I mean create_clock or create generated clock commands).

Thanks in advance

SreekumarR_G_Intel

sorry , caught into other stuff and missed out ,

Actually i am not sure why not for the both the clock, I will raise the quires to the internal team and come back to you .

Meanwhile if you find anything similar can you let me know as well so i can learn from you.

Thank you ,

Regards,

Sree