Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Quartus Prime Lite OpenCL Licensing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The link below says that the OpenCL SDK is available on the free Quartus Prime Lite Edition, but that it requires an additional license: 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/po/ss-quartus-comparison.pdf 

How do I get this license? Is it also free or do I need to buy a specific license for OpenCL? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, you will need to pay for the license for OpenCL SDK, but once you do that you can use it with Quartus Prime Lite (hence, you don't have to make a second purchase of Quartus Prime Standard/Pro, unless you are using devices that are not supported in Quartus Lite). 

I would encourage that you try asking for a trial license (perhaps file a service ticket to Altera?) for evaluation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, you will need to pay for the license for OpenCL SDK, but once you do that you can use it with Quartus Prime Lite (hence, you don't have to make a second purchase of Quartus Prime Standard/Pro, unless you are using devices that are not supported in Quartus Lite). 

I would encourage that you try asking for a trial license (perhaps file a service ticket to Altera?) for evaluation. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for the response. Regarding installation, if the OpenCL SDK only comes with Standard or Pro editions (see OpenCL package), and Lite Edition apparently does not come with OpenCL (couldn't find it), how do I make the combo Lite + OpenCL work?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good point. I suspect that the Lite Edition is only meant for Cyclone V devices since it is the only valid combo (OpenCL + Lite). I think it is best to check with Altera on the licensing option - I could be wrong here.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Good point. I suspect that the Lite Edition is only meant for Cyclone V devices since it is the only valid combo (OpenCL + Lite). I think it is best to check with Altera on the licensing option - I could be wrong here. 

--- Quote End ---  

That's exactly my setup: I have a DE0-Nano-SoC based on Cyclone V for learning purposes. 

I managed to install Quartus Prime Lite + OpenCL by downloading "Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL" from the "Individual Files" section on the Quartus Prime Standard edition download page (a 400 MB download). 

Now, two problems remain: 

- About licensing, when I try to compile a OpenCL kernel: 

$ aoc hello_world.cl 

Could not acquire a valid license for the Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM). 

I asked Altera support about licensing for this setup. Let's see what they say. 

- The linux_sd_card_image provided by the OpenCL SDK doesn't boot on the DE0-Nano. I probably will have to create my own OpenCL BSP, since the ones I found online were made for OpenCL 14, and I would like to use 16.1. 

I'll update this thread when/if I get these things to work. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, if I dont understand incorrectly, you managed to install OpenCL 16 into your board. How did you do this? Are the files offered as standalone and you just scp into the board?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi there, if I dont understand incorrectly, you managed to install OpenCL 16 into your board. How did you do this? Are the files offered as standalone and you just scp into the board? 

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry if my post was misleading: what I managed to do was to install the OpenCL SDK along with Quartus Lite on my PC. I would like to use v16 on the board, but I couldn't find an image for it. 

I'm struggling with the licensing right now, but if/when I manage to do this, I'll update the post. 

If v14 is OK to you, I found a working DE0-Nano compatible image on http://mail.terasic.com.tw/~david/de0_nano_soc_opencl_bsp.zip.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Sorry if my post was misleading: what I managed to do was to install the OpenCL SDK along with Quartus Lite on my PC. I would like to use v16 on the board, but I couldn't find an image for it. 

I'm struggling with the licensing right now, but if/when I manage to do this, I'll update the post. 

If v14 is OK to you, I found a working DE0-Nano compatible image on http://mail.terasic.com.tw/~david/de0_nano_soc_opencl_bsp.zip

--- Quote End ---  

Dont be sorry :) not at all. Thanks for your reply. I understand a bit better what I am doing now and I have managed to install the OpenCL RTE version 16 into my board. The issue I have now is that the driver is not compiled and I am not being able to compile it either. I have initiated a thread for that here: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53980&referrerid=95000 

Would you like me to post here if I get to a solution? 

Many thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If v14 is OK to you, I found a working DE0-Nano compatible image on http://mail.terasic.com.tw/~david/de0_nano_soc_opencl_bsp.zip

--- Quote End ---  

Hi there, 

Did you manage to resolve your licensing issues? What was the solution for this? 

Many thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I just hit a wall with my new AtlasSoC board - exactly the SAME problem. I'm trying to find a OpenCL SDK license to use with Quartus Prime Lite. 

Terasic says they can't sell it to me and Altera forwards me to my distributor (Mouser). They have to think about it. Really? 

Did anybody find a solution for how to get up and running with the DE0 AtlasSoC board and OpenCL? After all, I DID receive a BSP for that board from Terasic, so it's only the license holding me back...
0 Kudos