Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Quartus Prime Lite Platform Designer Failed to find module error

CFurr1
Beginner

Hi I am new to Quartus and FPGAs. I am trying to use the Platform Designer and create a NIOS2 simple system but when I go to generate the HDL I get an error of failed to find module. I have tried different modules like memory, JTAG uart and I get the same error. What am I doing work can anyone point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you try the Platform Designer Tutorial to generate HDL for Nios II processor in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/tt/tt_qsys_intro.pdf

Thanks

0 Kudos
CFurr1
Beginner

Does the NIOS II need a license to work and the HDL file to generate? I followed a similar tutorial with the same results. The Platform Designer shows no errors until I click the generate HDL button then I get the error of can't find module for the system I am making.

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know the information as below:

1. Quartus Prime edition and version
  2. Os version

Thanks

0 Kudos
CFurr1
Beginner
I am using the Lite Version 19.1 running on Ubuntu 16.04
0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi, 

For the Quartus Prime Lite edition is not required license file.

I had try to generate HDL for a system with with step as below: 

1. New Project (in Quartus)

2. Open PLatform Designer

3. Connect the system with clock source and Avalon-MM clock crossing bridge

4. Generate HDL 

It is successfully generate.

May I have the full error message for further investigate?

Thanks

0 Kudos
CFurr1
Beginner
[image: Screenshot at 2019-12-31 10:58:26.png] [image: Screenshot at 2019-12-31 10:58:51.png] Here are some screen shots of the Platform Builder. It seems that not matter what module I connect to the NIOS-II CPU it can't find that module. I have tried FIFO's JTAG-UART, PIO, SRAM.... all have the same error of can't find the module. Thanks -Clint
0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am not able to look into the screenshot. Could you try to attach the screenshot again?

Thanks

0 Kudos
CFurr1
Beginner
0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am still not able to have the zipped attachment as seen in picture below:

attachment_1.PNG

You may try to attach the picture as picture below: attachment_2.PNG

Thanks

0 Kudos
CFurr1
Beginner
This is turning out to be quite difficult lol. I made a Google share folder that has the pictures hope this does the trick. Your attached pictures did not come through as well. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12cNfsp18tlmbdomDrPXodR0ke1aM58zq?usp=sharing Thanks
0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi, 

I have tried this system connection in Quartus Prime Pro 19.3 and the system is not allowed to connect data master to on-chip memory s1 and avalon mm pipeline bridge s0. But in your picture show no error with this connection.

I had reported this issue to the developer. 

Also, I had tried to used Quartus Prime Lite v18.1 to connect the system in Platform Designer as well. It does not show the error with failed to find module.

May you try to revert back to Quartus Prime Lite v18.1?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
CFurr1
Beginner
Thanks for all your help. I did try version 18 and it has worked so far without error. Thanks.
0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Glad to hear that you have success to generate HDL in Platform Designer.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DDoro
Beginner

To solve your problem, you need to set the "Create HDL design files for synthesis" to "None" in the generation window in Platform Designer

0 Kudos