Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Quartus Prime Pro 19.2 quits unexpected with following error report. Does anybody know, what's the problem in this case?

Elegan
Novice

Problem Details

Error:

Internal Error: Sub-system: CDB_SGATE, File: /quartus/db/cdb_sgate/cdb_sgate_component.cpp, Line: 926

Port direction does not agree.

Stack Trace:

0x5f4ac: CDB_SGATE_COMPONENT::retrieve_known_port + 0x3ba6c (db_cdb_sgate)

0x4b568: qis_get_component_ports + 0x118 (synth_qis)

0x4874a: QIS_RTL_STAGE::IMPL::merge_nodes + 0x64a (synth_qis)

0x49219: QIS_RTL_STAGE::IMPL::merge_sgate_models + 0x339 (synth_qis)

0x43a02: QIS_RTL_STAGE::IMPL::dissolve_partition + 0x412 (synth_qis)

0x53641: QIS_RTL_STAGE::IMPL::uniquify + 0x9b1 (synth_qis)

0x54778: QIS_RTL_STAGE::IMPL::uniquify + 0xc08 (synth_qis)

0x1bb98: qis_uniquify + 0x1f8 (synth_qis)

0x16442: TclNRRunCallbacks + 0x62 (tcl86)

0x17c4d: TclEvalEx + 0x9ed (tcl86)

0xa6a8b: Tcl_FSEvalFileEx + 0x22b (tcl86)

0xa5136: Tcl_EvalFile + 0x36 (tcl86)

0x14ebc: qexe_evaluate_tcl_script + 0x3fc (comp_qexe)

0x13f72: qexe_do_tcl + 0x4b2 (comp_qexe)

0x1a34e: qexe_run_tcl_option + 0x5ee (comp_qexe)

0x18195: QCU::DETAIL::intialise_qhd_and_run_qexe + 0x95 (comp_qcu)

0x290bc: qcu_run_tcl_option + 0x2ec (comp_qcu)

0x19c58: qexe_run + 0x438 (comp_qexe)

0x1ad8a: qexe_standard_main + 0x26a (comp_qexe)

0x34d9: qsyn2_main + 0x129 (quartus_syn)

0x14a08: msg_main_thread + 0x18 (CCL_MSG)

0x160ae: msg_thread_wrapper + 0x6e (CCL_MSG)

0x20fb0: mem_thread_wrapper + 0x70 (ccl_mem)

0x13f8d: msg_exe_main + 0x20d (CCL_MSG)

0x4dd4: __scrt_common_main_seh + 0x11c (quartus_syn)

0x17bd3: BaseThreadInitThunk + 0x13 (KERNEL32)

0x6cee0: RtlUserThreadStart + 0x20 (ntdll)

End-trace

Executable: quartus_syn

Comment:

None

System Information

Platform: windows64

OS name: Windows 10

OS version: 10.0

Quartus Prime Information

Address bits: 64

Version: 19.2.0

Build: 57

Edition: Pro Edition

0 Kudos
14 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Can you clean the project, Project > Clean Project > Ok and recompile?

If the problem persists, kindly provide a test case to reproduce the error.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Elegan
Novice

Cleaning the project didn't help.

As I want to evaluate the update from Cyclone V to Cyclone 10 GX it is a project generated with Quartus Prime 18.0, which I tried to migrate to Quartus Prime Pro 19.2.

IP Generation -> O.K.

Analysis & Synthesis runs fine until "Creating instance-specific data models and dissolving soft partitions" where it crashes.

It must be design-related because trying to compile a Cyclone 10GX example design worked without any problem.

I can provide you with the archived project, but not in the community.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

I have sent an email to you. Please let me know if you did not receive.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Elegan
Novice

Hi,

yes, I received the email.

The problem is, that at the moment I do not have the simple test case, as the problem only occurs at one specific project.

I tried to build a simple project in Quartus Prime 18.0 and then do the migration to Quartus Prime 19.2. But no problem in this case.

Another problem is, that I could not archive the whole project, because it needs Analysis & Elaboration to know which files need to be archived and this is the point, where it fails.

Next step, I will try to find out, which specific part of the project causes Quartus to crash.

Maybe the cause is an IP, or something like that.

Can you tell me what is meant by "Port direction does not agree." in the reprt file?

Maybe this help to point me to the right direction.

Thanks,

Christian

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

It is difficult to find the root cause without the test case due to limited information in the error message.

It has something to do with a connection of a module where the port direction does not match the expected one. This is often related to connecting bidir (e.g. bidir to input or vice versa). Or possibly the size of the port doesn't match, or it is connecting a bus to a scalar. Or it could be that the component does not match the entity.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Elegan
Novice

O.K. the problem was an old custom generated tristate component. It is part of a component which was generated long time ago in block editor, but as it is still working, it is still in use.

By the way I found out that in Quartus Prime Pro 19.2 it is no more possible to create a symbol out of an HDL-File, correct?

I know, that support of block and symbol-editor is getting lower and lower, but although I write the specific components in VHDL, I liked it to keep the top-level-design in blocks as in my opinion it is more clear.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Yes. It is no longer supported. You may open the RTL Viewer by clicking on Tools > Netlist Viewers > RTL Viewer. It seems like you found a root cause of this error. Could you provide a simple test case for error replication?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Elegan
Novice

Attached you'll find a simple test-projekt to replicate the error.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the attachment. I have file a case to report this error.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

I received the feedback from the team today. Please see the feedback below.

The issue is that Tri8.bsf shows that tridata is of type bidir, but in Tri8.vhd, tridata is an output. You need to fix the design so that the Tri8 symbol used in TriTest.bdf matches the implementation of Tri8 in Tri8.vhd. Right now the Tri8 symbol says that tridata is a bidir but in Tri8.vhd tridata is an output. If you make the two match the design goes through.

You are encourage to move away from using bdf. It is much better to a modern language that is also used by other tools, i.e. Verilog, systemverilog or vhdl.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Elegan
Novice

Thank you for your support.

Yes, in recent projects we use vhdl, but there are some bdf-relicts, where it is still possible to use them in current designs.

And as mentioned earlier, I liked to use the block-view for the top-level-entity to have a good overview and find the corresponding higher-level-code easier.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

This internal error is scheduled to be fixed in the future release of the Intel Quartus Prime software by issueing an error message instead of internal error.

Have you tried to change the design so that the Tri8 symbol used in TriTest.bdf matches the implementation of Tri8 in Tri8.vhd.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

May I know if you have any updates?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Elegan
Novice

For me this issue is solved, by changing the output to bidir.

Thank you.

0 Kudos