Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16729 Discussions

Quartus Prime Version 23.1 RTL Simulation Cannot Find MIF file

HTL
Beginner

I am trying to run a Quartus RTL Simulation of a module that instantiates RAM memory with a MIF initialization file.  However, Questa fails to run the simulation, because it seems that it cannot find/locate the MIF file associated with the RAM module.  Questa transcript window reports the following error:

HTL_0-1718053509584.png

I generated the RAM module using the Megawizard Plug-in Manager, and all of my source code, including the MIF file for the RAM, resides in the subfolder ./MyHDL.  

I have been able to resolve the issue by moving the MIF file from the ./MyHDL subfolder to the top Quartus project root folder and regenerating the RAM module.  Then the RTL Simulation does not report any issues with locating the MIF file.  Although I could proceed with this work-around, it would be much preferred that all my source code, including the MIF file would be located in the same sub-folder.   Is there a better solution to this problem?

Thank you.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

It doesn't seem like it, but you don't have any spaces anywhere higher in your file hierarchy?  Probably not since this is the only file it complains about, but you can't have any spaces in the path nonetheless.

I'm curious though why the warning/error is thinking this is a VHDL file.  Do you have a reference to it in a library or setting as a VHDL file?

0 Kudos
HTL
Beginner

I definitely do not have any spaces anywhere in my file hierarchy.  

Furthermore, I do not know why Questa is considering the MIF file to be a 'VHDL', as I am not intentionally specifying the MIF anywhere in my project as a VHDL file.  Again, note that simply by regenerating the RAM module using the MIF located under the root folder the problem goes away (and no other changes). 

Another piece of information is that the simulation problem does not occur during compilation of the source code, but once the simulator starts running and then trying to read/access the MIF file for the initialization values. 

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Which Quartus Version (Standard or Pro) are you using?

Could you share your design by archiving the project (Project > Archive Project) so that I can investigate further?

Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi,

Do you able to share the project?

Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I think Questa does not support mif file. Try to convert it to hex file and simulate again.

You may refer to the KDB below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000084599.html

Although the KDB refer to Modelsim, this issue should be similar with Questa.

Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Any update on this?

Do you able to resolve the issue?

Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

We noticed that we haven't received a response from you regarding the latest previous question/reply/answer, and will now transitioning your inquiry to our community support. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we appreciate your understanding.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support.

The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

Thank you for reaching out to us!

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos