Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15339 Discussions

Quartus reducing design undesirably

AWilc1
Beginner

I have a problem in which I am trying to design a butterfly PUF (butterfly latch circuit) using d-types.

When I try to synthesise this circuit quartus will show that it is using 0 logic cells from my FPGA yet when I click to view the RTL netlist it will show everything correctly. I have tried using dff primitives, as well as lcells but nothing seems to work.

Surely having 2 dff primitives on the FPGA would contribute to 2 logic cells being used right? Isn't that partially the point of primitives?

My Question:

Is there a way to force quartus to synthesize my verilog module EXACTLY as I have written it so that it does not perform any sort of optimization/minimization on it?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndyN
New Contributor I

Does your design actually drive anything? If it's a purely internal piece of logic then, yeah, Quartus will optimize it out with standard settings.

The simplest way to stop it optimizing it out is to add a noprune constraint to the output signal. Note that if it's optimizing it out in a "real" design rather than a test one, it has a reason for removing it that you'll need to investigate.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Kenny_Tan

You can also go to the Verilog file -> right click -> insert template -> find the attribute for the 1 you want. This will list down all the available attribute where Quartus offers.

Thanks​